Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Description

Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 4 in.

Creation Information

Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin October 30, 1942.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs and was provided by Austin History Center, Austin Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 116 times , with 4 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Austin History Center

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

As the local history division of the Austin Public Library, the Austin History Center collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to Austin history.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 4 in.

Subjects

Other

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Austin History Center General Collection Photographs

These materials depict the city of Austin from the 1830s to the 1970s. They include a wide range of subjects, from the Texas State Capitol and Barton Springs to aerial views, cityscapes, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • October 30, 1942

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Oct. 27, 2010, 7:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 31, 2014, 10:57 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 1
Past 30 days: 4
Total Uses: 116

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin. Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park, photograph, October 30, 1942; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124723/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.