Goddess of Liberty with Workers

Description

Capitol construction crews surrounding the Goddess of Liberty statue that was later placed on top of the Capitol dome. Right side, back row, fifth from right with mustache is identified as Hans Falkenberg. This original iteration of the Goddess was taken down during restoration of the Capitol in 1985, restored and eventually put on display at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. February 1888.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives and was provided by Austin History Center, Austin Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 925 times , with 6 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

The Austin History Center is the local history division of the Austin Public Library. It provides the public with information about the history, events, and activities of Austin and Travis County. It collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to our history. It presents here images from the Neal Douglass Photography Collection, the General Collection Photographs, the Bergstrom-Austin Community Council Records, the Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives, and the O. Henry Project.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Capitol construction crews surrounding the Goddess of Liberty statue that was later placed on top of the Capitol dome. Right side, back row, fifth from right with mustache is identified as Hans Falkenberg. This original iteration of the Goddess was taken down during restoration of the Capitol in 1985, restored and eventually put on display at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Notes

More information on the Goddess of Liberty: http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/spb/gallery/hisart/19.htm

Subjects

Other

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives

The photographic archives of the Ellison Photo Company were donated to the Austin History Center by Russell Chalberg, on December 9th, 1969. In 1981, an additional 1,277 prints and glass-plate negatives from the Jordan-Ellison Company were donated.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • February 1888

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Oct. 27, 2010, 7:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 26, 2011, 10:30 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 6
Total Uses: 925

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Goddess of Liberty with Workers, photograph, February 1888; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125154/: accessed December 2, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.