Historic Plaque, Walter Prescott Webb's Formative Years Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Historic Plaque, Walter Prescott Webb's Formative Years
Photographer: Belden, Dreanna L.Creator Type: Personal
- Creation: 2006-04-14
- Digitized: 2006-05-02
- Content Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Breckenridge, Texas. It reads: "Walter Prescott Webb's Formative Years. Noted historian Walter Prescott Webb (1888-1963) came with his family to Stephens County at the age of four. Over the next seventeen years, Webb received an education in frontier life that formed the basis of his intellectual development and his theories on the role of the Great Plains in American history. Webb's father, Casner, was a rural schoolteacher and farmer. As he moved to different teaching assignments, the family moved with him. W. P. Webb thus was exposed to the physical geographical variety within the county that was so important to his western thesis. His neighbors were prime sources of frontier lore. Although Webb's public school experiences were infrequent, it was during these formative years in Stephens County that he developed his love of books and his desire to attend college. Also during this time, Webb was contacted by William Hinds of New York, who was to become his benefactor and a great source of encouragement for the young scholar. In 1906 Walter P. Webb received his teaching certificate and spent the next three years as a rural educator. In 1909, at the age of 21, Webb left his home in Stephens County to pursue his college education at the University of Texas in Austin. (1985)"
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : col.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Monuments
- Keyword: Webb, Walter Prescott
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Education - Schools - Teachers
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Landmarks - Historic Markers
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Places - United States - Texas - Stephens County - Breckenridge
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Stephens County - Breckenridge
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Coverage Date: 2006-04-14
- Place Point: north=32.7573900842859; east=-98.90469342459107;
Name: Photographing TexasCode: TP
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Accession or Local Control No: DSCN1903
- Digital Preservation: creationAppName: Adobe Photoshop creationAppVersion: 7 creationHardware: Nikon Coolpix 5700