[Hereford Residents]

Description

Photograph of early settlers of Hereford, Texas. The adults stand by the wagon on the right, and the children sit on the grass. There is a white horse by the two wagons on the left, and another dark horse on the far right.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 13 cm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1900.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Bill and Marcella Bradly Collection and was provided by Deaf Smith County Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 123 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Deaf Smith County Library

The Deaf Smith County Library collections include the Bill and Marcella Bradly Collection, consisting of photographic negatives documenting the history, people, businesses, and ranches of Deaf Smith County. Also included are two local history books: Deaf Smith County: The Land and Its People and A History of Deaf Smith County, featuring Pioneer Families, as well as local souvenir guides. This project is supported in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of early settlers of Hereford, Texas. The adults stand by the wagon on the right, and the children sit on the grass. There is a white horse by the two wagons on the left, and another dark horse on the far right.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 13 cm.

Notes

W.A. Rickets' son, Ira married Anne Hughes in the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Hughes in Frio community. Ira then moved to Jumbo community, then to New Mexico. In 1915 Ira moved back to Hereford.

W.A. Rickets' son Claude went to school at Panhandle Plains Christian College, where he was a member of the first football team. In 1913 Claude worked at the First National Bank. Claude served in the army during WWI (1917 - 1919). Claude organized the first Boy Scout troop in Hereford in 1917. He married Lavinne Neal on Dec. 21, 1919 and had no children.

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Bill and Marcella Bradly Collection

Photographer Bill Bradly documented the people and businesses of the Deaf Smith County area and created preservation negatives of historic photographs, which were later donated by the Bradly family. This collection richly illustrates Texas's cattle and farming tradition. Funding was provided in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1900

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • May 25, 2006, 8:26 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 17, 2013, 9:51 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 1
Total Uses: 123

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[Hereford Residents], photograph, 1900; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth13816/: accessed December 7, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Deaf Smith County Library.