Rolling Stones Page: ix
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
This the twelfth and final volume cf O. ileiry's worl
gets its title from an early newspaper venture of which
he was the head and front. On April S, 1894, there
appeared in Austin, Texas, volume 1, number 3 of The
Rolling Stoue, with a circulation greatly in excess of the
only two numbers that had gone before. Apparently
the business office was encouraged. The first two issues
of one thousand copies each had been bought up. Of the
third an edition of six thousand w as published and dis-
tributed free, so that the business men of Austin, Texas,
might know what a good thing was at hand for their
advertising. The editor and proprietor and illustrator
of The Rolling Stone was Will Porter, incidentally Paying
and Receiving Teller in Major Brackenridge's bank.
Perhaps the most characteristic feature of the paper
was "The Plunkville Patriot," a page each week, or at
least with the regularity of the somewhat uncertain
paper itself, purporting to be reprinted from a con-
temporary journal. The editor of the Plunkville Patri l
was Colonel Aristotle Jordan, unrelenting enemy of ii
enemies. When the Colonel's application for the post
mastership in Plunkville is ignored, his columns carr:
a bitter attack on the administration at Washington.
IN'\'T:ODTI CT'E )S
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Henry, O., 1862-1910. Rolling Stones, book, 1912; Garden City, New York. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139359/m1/17/: accessed November 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.