Rolling Stones Page: 216

This book is part of the collection entitled: O. Henry Project and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.

View a full description of this book.

Rolling Stones

Sir Everhard FitzArmond picked up the paper and read
its contents. It was Lord Oakhurst's will, bequeathing
all his property to a scientific institution which should
have for its object the invention of a means for extracting
peach brandy from sawdust.
Sir Everhard glanced quickly around the room. No
one was in sight. Dropping the will, he rapidly transferred
some valuable ornaments and rare specimens of gold and
silver filigree work from the centre table to his pockets,
and rang the bell for the servants.
Sir Everhard FitzArmond descended the stairway of
Oakhurst Castle and passed out into the avenue that led
from the doorway to the great iron gates of the park.
Lord Oakhurst had been a great sportsman during his
life and always kept a well-stocked kennel of curs, which
now rushed out from their hiding places and with loud
yelps sprang upon the physician, burying their fangs in his
lower limbs and seriously damaging his apparel.
Sir Everhard, startled out of his professional dignity
and usual indifference to human suffering, by the personal
application of feeling, gave vent to a most horrible and
blighting CURSE and ran with great swiftness to his
carriage and drove off toward the city.

-- ----rr-r I


Upcoming Pages

Here’s what’s next.

263 of 351
264 of 351
265 of 351
266 of 351

Show all pages in this book.

This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.

Citing and Sharing

Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.

Reference the current page of this Book.

Henry, O., 1862-1910. Rolling Stones, book, 1912; Garden City, New York. ( accessed October 20, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History,; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.