Rolling Stones Page: 65
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
[Originally published in The Black Cat for April, 1902.]
THE policeman was standing at the corner of Twenty-
fourth Street and a prodigiously dark alley near where the
elevated railroad crosses the street. The time was two
o'clock in the morning; the outlook a stretch of cold,
drizzling, unsociable blackness until the dawn.
A man, wearing a long overcoat, with his hat tilted
down in front, and carrying something in one hand, walked
softly but rapidly out of the black alley. The policeman
accosted him civilly, but with the assured air that is linked
with conscious authority. The hour, the alley's musty
reputation, the pedestrian's haste, the burden he carried
--these easily combined into the "suspicious circum-
stances" that required illumination at the officer's hands.
The "suspect" halted readily and tilted back his hat,
exposing, in the flicker of the electric lights, an emotion-
less, smooth countenance with a rather long nose and
steady dark eyes. Thrusting his gloved hand into a side
pocket of his overcoat, he drew out a card and handed it to
the policeman. Holding it to catch the uncertain light,
the officer read the name "Charles Spencer James, M. D."
The street and number of the address were of a neighbor-
hood so solid and respectable as to subdue even curiosity.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Henry, O., 1862-1910. Rolling Stones, book, 1912; Garden City, New York. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth139359/m1/99/: accessed December 11, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.