San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History Page: 49
This book is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries .
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Illustrating the l/illa Capital de San Fernando, Sparisl
I. The old Church of San Fernando.
2. Churchyard Burying Ground, now covered by the Cathedral
3. The Presidio Garrison Barracks, long since removed.
4. The old Plaza de Armas Dwellings and Ramparts. All 3 and 4
were claimed by the city as city property and in most cases the city
substantiated its claims, and, acquiring it, cleared the old buildings
away. The lot marked b was the last private property to disappear-
1889. In.the '4os and '5os a man named Goodman gave much trouble
before he was finally ousted by law by the city. Plats of most of
these properties, and the names of claimants, may be found in
Book 1, City Engineer's Records. The City Hall of 1850-90, with
City Jail, occupied N. W. corner, c d.
5. Properties of N. Lewis, Callaghan, Groesbeeck, et al., on Main
Plaza, claimed and cleared by the city similarly to those on Military
Plaza (See note 4).
6. The isolated Spanish family names on the plan are those of
some of the original property holders.
7. The faintly dotted lines to and from the Veramendi and Garza
Houses are the approximate routes to Zambrano Row and to the
Priest House taken by the besieging companies under Milam and
F. W. Johnston in 1835. The capitulation of Cos to Burleson fol-
lowed in 1835.
This plan is about 75 varas to the inch, Rampart Dwellings from 6 to 12 varas
wide, Garrison Barracks, 20 varas wide.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Corner, William. San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History, book, 1890; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth143549/m1/49/: accessed December 13, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries.