San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History Page: 25
This book is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries .
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
THE MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT.
cling tenaciously to a coign of vantage in front of the Federal building on Alamo
Plaza in the east.
By the tourist " from the states," these peripatetic tables are eagerly sought
for as a curiosity to be seen, but only to be patronized in a gingerly kind of way
from a weak misgiving as to the origin of the victuals.
As day dawns and the lamps show dimmer, these queer hotel keepers put out
their fires and folding their tables, " silently steal away" until another night.*
THE MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT.
Headquarters Department of Texas and the Post of San Antonio.
The Post of San Antonio now established on Government Hill, about one
mile north of the city, had its official beginning in 1865. This date, however, is
only that of a new birth, and for those who are interested in such matters, we
append to the purely " Guide Book " information of this page some further re-
marks on the Military history of San Antonio from a much earlier date.
The Present Post, then, went to housekeeping in 1865, immediately after the
war, in buildings hired for the purpose The troops remained here until 1873,
when they were withdrawn under Special Order No. 148, Headquarters Depart-
ment Texas, dated August 7th of that year. They returned in accordance with
Special Order No. 158, dated August 28th, 1875, from the same Headquarters.
After many changes, as set forth hereafter, the present magnificent site was
occupied under orders dated December 20th, 1879,-the occupation, so far as the
Post was concerned, taking place on the 22d of the same month, the Department
Headquarters remaining some time longer in the city.
The following will be of interest to visitors:
The hill is reached by the Belknap Street Cars, Avenue C. line. The Post
is situated on a rolling plateau, overlooking the city, and elevated 762 feet above
the Gulf of Mexico in latitude 290 26' 33" north, and 98 27' 33" west longitude.
There is a telegraph office at Department Headquarters and a railway con-
nection between the Quartermaster's Depot and the Southern Pacific system.
The buildings were begun on June 21st, 1877, Braden & Angus, contractors,
and have only recently been completed, the Government Hospital being built in
1885 and the "New Post," contracted for September 13, 1888. They are tastefully
designed, as will be seen from the accompanying illustrations, and are located on
a reservation of 162.21 acres. Of this noble site, so worthily occupied by
Uncle Sam, 92.79 acres were donated by the city ; 49.18 were acquired by
purchase, April 28th, 1884 ; 19.29 acres by decrees of the District Court of
Bexar County, dated April 7th and May 25th, 1883, and .95 acres were granted
by the city of San Antonio to complete the donation heretofore referred to.
*Reference is had for further particulars as to these interesting public places to the accompanying
maps of La Villa Capital de San Fernando, and the map of the heart of the modern city, also to many further
details in historical portions of this work.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Corner, William. San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History, book, 1890; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth143549/m1/63/: accessed May 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries.