San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History Page: 26
This book is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries .
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SAN ANTONIO DE BEXAR.
It will be noted, further on, that other sites had been offered to the Govern-
ment by the city authorities, both before and after the war, but for various reasons
none of them were accepted.
In addition to the Officers' Quarters of the " Old " and " New " Posts and
the extensive Barracks, are the Department Offices and Quarternmaster's Depot,
the following data will give an idea of their importance :
They are built around a quadrangle 624 feet square, the main facade fronting
south is 499 feet 6 inches by 33 feet and two stories high. The north front is 624
feet by 30 feet and of one story ; the whole comprising 36 store rooms, 20 offices,
extensive work shops and a cellar.
In the center of the quadrangle is a tower formerly used as a water tower, and
containing a clock. It is 88 feet high, and from its summit a fine view of the city
and its environs may be obtained. Below lies the town with the San Antonio
River meandering southward on its tortuous way to the Gulf, doubling and turn-
ing on its journey, as tho' loath to leave the scenes of its birth.
Military Drills.-A feature of Post life, of probably the most interest to
visitors, is the Dress Parades and other military functions which are constantly
taking place on the hill.
They occur as follows:
Drills.-Almost daily, the time varying with the season of the year. Dress
Parade, generally on Tuesday and Thursday at the hour before sun-set. The
Monthly Muster and Inspection takes place on the last day of each month,
usually about 10 a. m., it is an interesting sight. Guard Mount, with full band,
occurs daily about 8:30, a. m., but the hour is sometimes changed during the in-
tense heat of summer.
The Organization of the Department and Post may be learned in great de-
tail from the Roster issued monthly from the office of the Assistant Adjutant
General of the Department.
The Arsenal is located far from the Post on South Flores street and may also
be reached by the Belknap line of street cars. It is commanded by an officer of
the Ordnance Corps, Major Babbitt, who constitutes one of the Department Com-
mander's Staff and supplies the troops with ammunition and accoutrements.
At the Post are quartered Brigadier General Stanley, commanding the De-
partment, and his Personal and Departmental Staffs. Col. Black commanding
the Post with four troops of Cavalry, two Batteries of Light Artillery and six com-
panies of Infantry, and Col. Weeks Chief Quartermaster, in charge of the De-
partment Depot and Offices.
The following is a list of the Post Commanders. The history of the De-
partment is treated elsewhere.
Capt. N. Prime, 10th Infantry up to June, 1873, afterwards transferred to Fort
Capt. J. W. French, July, 1873, held command until the removal of the troops
in August and September of the same year. Capt. French was transferred
to Fort Clark.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Corner, William. San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History, book, 1890; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth143549/m1/64/: accessed November 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries.