San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History Page: 32
This book is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries .
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SAN ANTONIO DE BEXAR.
Methodist. -Methodist Episcopal Church South, Travis Square.
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, southwest corner Avenue C. and Pecan
Methodist Episcopal, south side Crosby street.
German Methodist Episcopal Church, 230 Villita Street.
Mexican Methodist Episcopal Church, southwest corner Pecan and San
Tenth Street Methodist Church, south side Tenth Street.
Jewish.-Temple Beth-E1, Travis Square, a Synagogue the place of
worship of the influential Hebrew citizens. Rev. M. P. Jacobson, Rabbi.
The City Hospital.-In the western part of the city. It may be, not
inaptly, mentioned here, as an evidence of the practical religion of the city
Many other denominations are represented, but this list will suffice for the
spiritual needs of the majority of visitors. It should be mentioned, however,
that the colored people have many places of worship-Catholic, Methodist and
Schools.-Education is well cared for in San Antonio. There are many
private institutions of great efficiency, for both sexes, and the denominational
establishments have been already noticed.
The Public Schools are the pride of the city. There are twelve school
buildings, all excellent, and under Superintendent Smith. There are about
seventy-five teachers of trained ability in charge of a scholastic population largely
in excess of that of any other city in the State.
The Central Grammar and High School is situated on Acequia street;
Professor Schoch, Principal. It may be reached by the Belknap cars, San Pedro
line. There are, besides, eight Ward Schools for whites, and three for the colored
people. The colored people having, perhaps, most accommodation in proportion
to population, than the whites, were not the latter supplemented by the denom-
inational and private effort before referred to.
The German-English School should be mentioned, as being an old established
high-class day school, and somewhat of a land mark. It is situated on South
Alamo street, and may be reached by the Belknap line of street cars.
Let us glance at the history of Public Education in San Antonio since the
good Mission Fathers gave up their labor of love and patriotism.
The first mention of an American School in Texas is in a document
in the Bexar County Records, dated July 5th, 1828, referring to the " McClure "
School. This was under Mexican rule, and was probably an institution started
for the benefit of the growing Anglo-Saxon colony. About this time there
existed, also, a Spanish Public School, on the east line of the Military Plaza, near
the Cathedral. After this, and until 1839, education in San Antonio received
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Corner, William. San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History, book, 1890; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth143549/m1/72/: accessed April 26, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries.