San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History Page: 36
This book is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries .
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SAN ANTONIO DE BEXAR.
The grounds are reached by the .Aransas Pass railway with a depot in the
adjacent park, and from town direct by the McCrillis electric cars.
The president of the association is Mr. A. C. Schryver, whose office is on
Commerce street near the bridge. The grounds were established in the fall of
1888 and the military encampment of the state militia was held here in 1890.
Riverside Park.--A beautiful sylvan pleasure ground, with lovely
drives and groves of giant pecan trees, whose fruit is the delicious Texas nut of
It is the very place of all others for pic-nics, with the river, the Missions San
Jose and Concepcion adjacent, and the Exposition Park and buildings across the
fence. There is a fine pavilion in the grounds and arrangements for refreshments.
It is reached by the San Antonio & Aransas Pass railway when there is a crowd,
and always from town direct by the McCrillis system of electric cars.
San Pedro Park.-A city park about a mile from the center of the
town. Here are the lovely San Pedro Springs with stretches of green-sward and
groves of stately live oaks, a southern evergreen that always makes us seem a
summering. Pecan trees and shrubbery abound. Refreshments may be had, and
there is a collection of birds and animals well worth a visit. It may be reached
by Belknap System Cars. This park is a remnant of the former magnificent do-
main of the city. In olden times it was a favorite resort of the Indians, and an-
other fact of interest connected with the locality is, that the Canary Island set-
tlers dwelt there for a short time previous to their removal to San Fernando.
Vide Dr. Cupples' reminiscences.
Opera House.-Situated on the west side of the Alamo plaza, fronting
the garden and almost opposite the Menger hotel. It is a veritable " Bijou "
and during the season, Opera and the legitimate, follow each other unceasingly.
The building is the home of the San Antonio Club, tasteful in all things. This
admirable institution is treated of at length elsewhere.
Turner Hall.-A fine hall for public meetings; concerts and other at-
t ractions hold the boards throughout the season.
Casino Hall.-An elegant room attached to the Casino club. The home
of a famous German association. This hall is frequently used for concerts and,
nearly always, for the larger select dances and germans that take place during
the winter. It has pleasant parlors, is prettily decorated, and located in a re-
tired bend of the river in the heart of the city.
Convention Hall.--A hall erected on Flores and Houston streets for
the accommodation of the State Democratic Convention of 1890. There are
other halls in the city, but these are all that will interest the tourist.
Newspapers.-The San Antonio Daily Express (morning) is the lead-
ing journal of the city, as of Western Texas. It is devoted to the interests of
its section, and, while democratic in politics, it is blessed with a large share of
refreshing independence and the brightest staff of newspaper men in the state.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Corner, William. San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History, book, 1890; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth143549/m1/76/: accessed April 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries.