San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History Page: 40
This book is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2010 and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries .
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SAN ANTONIO DE BEXAR.
Banks.-San Antonio is a wealthy city. There are no less than four Na-
tional and six Private Banks, all stable institutions. They occupy palatial quar-
ters. Bank failures in the city are unknown. The bank rate of interest is from
eight to twelve per cent. There are many mortgage and loan institutions who
furnish money on good security at six per cent. There is, ihoreover, a Local In-
surance Company, the directory of which is made up of our wealthiest citizens.
San Antonio Club.-This institution was founded by the association
of a party of gentlemen who obtained a charter dated December 21st,
1881. It was instituted for "literary purposes, to promote social intercourse
among its members and to provide them the convenience of a Club House." The
following were the original incorporators : Messrs. E. D. L. Wickes, H. B. An-
drews, Jas. T. Thornton, C. K. Breneman, Erastus Reed, A. B. Frank, J. B.
Lacoste, H. B. Adams, Frank Grice, F. P. Hord, Jas. Callaghan, Thos. J.
Devine and H. Grenet. The club is managed by a committee of thirteen direc-
tors elected annually; their terms expire on the 30th of November of each year.
They elect from among their number a president, vice-president, treasurer and
secretary and have power to fill vacancies. They also pass upon the admission
of members. Their meetings are on the first Tuesday of each month at 8 o'clock
p. m. in winter and 8:30 p. m. in summer. The president, or in his absence the
vice-president, authorizes the call of special meetings of directors or of the club.
The first president was E. D. L. Wickes, Esq., and he held the office many
years. The present president is A. W. Houston. The club installed itself speed-
ily after its formation in a suite of rooms (now occupied by the Harmony club)
at the corner of Alamo Plaza and Alamo street above the old postoffice, but
soon set about plans for a more suitable home. Eventually a comprehensive
scheme was realized and the present club and opera house was occupied in the
winter of 1886-87. The building fronts on Alamo Plaza, it is of brick and is al-
together a tasteful structure. Here the club fulfils its ends and during the sea-
son dispenses a hospitality that has become proverbial. Its receptions are among
the great social functions of the winter, and its attentions to distinguished stran-
gers who deserve well of their fellow-men have been innumerable. Members have
the privilege of introducing visitors who are non-residents of the county. The
present secretary is W. A. Little, Esq.
Other Clubs.-Are the " Harmony," a coterie of influential Hebrews;
" The San Antonio Rifles," inaugurated by a company of volunteers of that
name ; The " Casino," an old established German association; the Turners and
various Singing, Literary and Shooting societies.
Young Men's Christian Association.-This body has rooms on
the corner of Alamo and Commerce streets, up stairs, temporarily. Mr. Rae
will be found in charge and everybody is welcome to their Reading Rooms and
Military Organizations.-San Antonio has seen much of war in ear-
nest and in the peaceful contests of competitive drilling has retained her military
laurels. The San Antonio Rifles, under Capt. Badger, and the Belknap Rifles,
under Capt. R. Green, achieved a national reputation at Washington, and have
won prizes at every inter-state and state drill they have attended. The Maverick
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Corner, William. San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and History, book, 1890; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth143549/m1/82/: accessed November 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting University of Texas Health Science Center Libraries.