Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 22, Number 1, Spring 2010 Page: 19
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Legacies: a History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Dallas Historical Society.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
, iJJ , d I
The third St. Matthew's Episcopal Cathedral was built at the northeast corner of S. Ervay
and Canton in 1894-95 at a cost of over $100,000. It was demolished in 1937.
Although Henry Garrett was locally famed
for his scientific talents, he also possessed a life-
long passion for music, which he indulged in his
early adulthood by serving as vice-director of a
community choral group, joining the firemen's
band, and playing the organ while at the same
time directing a twenty-five member choir at his
father's church, St. Matthew's Episcopal
Cathedral. In August 1884, at the Dallas Opera
House, he played the organ for three consecutive
evenings in a musical extravaganza called
Following the loss of his job as superintend-
ent of the Dallas Consolidated Streetcar
Company in 1898, Garrett started an electrical
supply business in partnership with another
enterprising young man, A. Burney Lipscomb. In
1900, to promote their fledgling company, the
two men built a special exhibit for the annual
State Fair. Combining Garrett's electrical genius
with his love of music, the imaginative display,
which demonstrated "the future possibilities of
electricity," reportedly fascinated fairgoers with
"musical selections" played by "electrical appli-
The following fall found the tavo electrical
merchants busy putting the finishing touches to
a second new business-the Texas State Fair
Miniature Railway Company, which Lipscomb
and Garrett had incorporated the previous year.
It was finished just in time for the opening of the
1901 State Fair.
From the beginning, the miniature railway
w-as a big hit with fairgoers, although the
destruction of the main exposition building and
music hall by fire in 19()2 probably necessitated
its relocation. After the State Fair Association was
reorganized in 1904 and the fairgrounds sold to
the City of Dallas for use as a public park, Garrett
and a new partner, R.L. Cameron, contracted
with the city "for the installation of a [new]
miniature electric railhay" to "run year round."
Unfortunately, the history of this enterprise
has not been very well chronicled. It was still
operating as late as 1928, when one of the toy
coaches derailed, injuring six passengers, but
whether Garrett and Cameron were still its
owners at that time cannot be ascertained.'
On October 5, 1899, not long after Henry
Garrett had gone into partnership with A.
Spring 2olo LEGrACiES 19
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Historical Society. Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 22, Number 1, Spring 2010, periodical, 2010; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146051/m1/21/: accessed October 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Historical Society.