The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 44, July 1940 - April, 1941 Page: 34
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
companies for manufacturing their necessary wares. The first
official step of the Texas State Grange toward this end was
taken in 1875 when a committee on manufacturing reported
that George A. Kelly, a manufacturer of ironware in Marion
County, proposed to convert his establishment into a Grange
factory. The State Grange accepted Kelly's proposition and on
September 7, 1875, the executive committee met at Kellyville
and organized the Texas Grange Manufacturing Association,
Patrons of Husbandry, with a capital of $250,000, divided into
shares of twenty-five dollars each. It was agreed that the State
Grange, subordinate Granges, or individual Patrons would own
enough of the stock to give the Patrons control. Worthy Master
W. W. Lang of the State Grange became president of the com-
pany and Kelly became superintendent of the plant. General
direction of the association was placed under a directory elected
annually by the State Grange.2
Kelly reported in October that the plant was putting out $300
worth of ironware per day and would soon increase the output
to $600. His plant seems to have been well equipped for harden-
ing plows. Some Patrons claimed that they had actually saved
thirty to forty per cent by buying from the AssociationY. The
Grangers did not subscribe to enough of the stock to give them
a controlling interest in the concern. At the end of the fourth
year, upon the request of Kelly, his agreement with the Grange
was dissolved, and he returned the funds that he had received
from Patrons for stock.4
The Grangers saw their greatest possibilities in the spinning
and weaving of cotton. Newspapers were active in pointing the
way." Grange lecturers disclosed to Patrons that in each county
they could purchase the patent right to the Clement Attach-
ment, an improved device affixed to the old-type textile mill,
set up their plants in the field, and convert their raw cotton
into thread, twine, and rough cloth. A mill equipped with such
an attachment, which was described as being so simple that the
"farmer's daughter" could operate it, would, Grangers said, save
Minutes of the Texas State Grange, of the Patrons of Husbandry, 1875,
pp. 13-14, 35-36, 47. This reference will be given subsequently as Pro-
ceedings of Texas State Grange.
"Waco Daily Examiner, October 15, 29, 1875, December 17, 1875, and
February 6, 1876.
4Proceedings of Texas State Grange, 1877, p. 32; 1878, p. 62; 1879,
p. 22; 1880, p. 27.
2Waco Daily Examiner, December 1, 1874.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 44, July 1940 - April, 1941, periodical, 1941; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146052/m1/42/: accessed February 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.