The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 44, July 1940 - April, 1941 Page: 38
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
special meeting of the stockholders of the Salado Codperative
Council on April 25. Two meetings followed, composed of dele-
gates from the cooperatives at Salado, Birdsdale, Nolan's Valley,
and Union, all in Bell County, and also of several delegates from
Florence Codperative of Williamson County. The outcome was
the organization of the Texas Cooperative Association, Patrons
of Husbandry, with 0. T. Tyler as president, J. W. Clark as
treasurer, and Rose as secretary." The remaining charter mem-
bers were J. S. Rogers, L. G. Sims, J. H. Deblar, G. G. Anderson,
G. W. Walton, W. C. Mathews, William McCune, J. L. Whitten-
burg, C. A. Colman, and G. W. Everett. A month later, on
June 20, the Association adopted a set of by-laws, and Rose
secured a charter from the Secretary of State on July 5, 1878.
He had enough copies of the charter and the by-laws printed to
supply every subordinate Grange in Texas.'8 With the $250
subscribed by the five cooperative councils, J. S. Rogers, whom
Tyler had appointed as business manager, departed for Gal-
veston on July 30 to enter competition "with the millionaires
of that city."19 Since a yellow fever epidemic was raging when
he arrived, he was obliged to delay the formal opening of busi-
ness until November. By an action of the board of directors
at the first semi-annual meeting, January 9, 1879, the total
capital was increased to $475.20 At a called meeting of the
directors in April, they instructed the secretary to correspond
with managers of the local cooperatives and to persuade them
to patronize the central agency and, if possible, to do mission-
ary work in the form of personal visits. While visiting Patrons
during the summer in different parts of the state, Rose found
that the chief problem facing the cooperative system was the
lack of understanding among the farmers. At the end of the
first fiscal year, June 30, 1879, Rogers had handled 1,103 bales
of cotton, paying $1,355.56 in commissions to the Association,
although he had not started operation until November, when
17 The purposes of the company according to the by-laws were to
establish and to maintain a general commission, wholesale and retail
cooperative store or stores, and to transact any kind of business incident
to the mutual profit and benefit of the stockholders, who were to be mem-
bers of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry. The capital was not to exceed
$100,000, and each share was worth five dollars. Each shareholder was
entitled to only one vote. Galveston was selected as the headquarters.
1s"Minutes of Texas Coperative Association," pp. 7-17.
'9"Minutes of Texas Coperative Association," p. 31.
20"Minutes of Texas Cooperative Association," pp. 20, 32.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 44, July 1940 - April, 1941, periodical, 1941; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146052/m1/46/: accessed October 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.