The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 44, July 1940 - April, 1941 Page: 514
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Harold Bugbee's drawings from the Globe-News Anniversary
Edition of 1938, Amarillo, are featured on the jacket and end-
pages, giving the reader just the right start towards reading
JOSEPH DIXON MATLOCK.
The University of Texas.
Beaumont: A Guide to the City and Its Environs. Compiled
and written by the Federal Writers' Project of the Work
Projects Administration in the State of Texas.
Houston: The Anson Jones Press, 1940. Pp. xvi, 167. Illustra-
tions, maps, index. $1.00.
This book is one of a series on Texas communities, the
material for which has been gathered, written, and edited by
members of the Federal Writers' Project in Texas, a branch of
the Work Projects Administration. This publication would ap-
pear to prove that there has been little "boondoggling" in this
phase of the W. P. A. activity at Beaumont. It is intended to
be a general history and guide to the city of Beaumont and its
environs, where the "blowing in" of the first oil well in the
Spindletop field early in January, 1901, made the town for a
time the best known of its size on earth.
Up to the time of this bonanza strike Beaumont, the city of
the Neches, had justified itself largely as a lumbering and rice
culture center. October 26, 1835, the Telegraph and Texas
Register had announced, from its San Felipe de Austin office,
the birth of the town in the following news note:
We are informed that a town has lately been laid
out on the tidewater of the river Neches, at a place
known as Tevis Bluff, 30 miles from Sabine Bay. Its
situation is said to be one of the most delightful in
Texas and it has already commenced improving at a
rapid rate. It is spoken of as a town which promises
to be one of considerable importance. It has received
the name of Beaumont, which, from the description of
the place, strikes our fancy as very appropriate.
There was something prophetic in the announcement, for an
army of pioneers found their way to the quiet and beautiful
"piney woods" town, situated on the white bluff, and surrounded
by red lands. The first industry to thrive in the area was cattle
raising, the cattle sometimes being driven along the old Contra-
band Trail to Louisiana, but more often only the hides and
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 44, July 1940 - April, 1941, periodical, 1941; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146052/m1/565/ocr/: accessed July 28, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.