The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 45, July 1941 - April, 1942 Page: 121
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
spelling is indicated with reference to a certain city: Canon City
(p. 77 and elsewhere), Canyon City (p. 400), and Cannon City
(Index, p. 499).
In places the composition is extremely weak. Occasionally
there is a series of sentences beginning with the same pronoun
and sometimes the writer changes both the pronoun and its
number without indicating any corresponding change in the
antecedent. For example, in summarizing the achievements of
the Legislature of the Territory of Jefferson he says: "It pro-
vided for twelve counties, nine of which were organized. It
incorporated Denver City and many roads and ditches. It pro-
vided for an ideal revenue system - a system that taxed every
occupation, except the two in which most of them were en-
gaged. It taxed every occupation except farming and mining.
They levied a poll tax of one dollar per person which turned
out to be very unpopular in some of the mountain districts.
They adopted what was in effect a protective tariff when they
levied a tax of one quarter of one per cent on all 'foreign'
merchandise sold" (p. 188).
L. A. MCGEE.
Sam Houston State Teachers College.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 45, July 1941 - April, 1942, periodical, 1942; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146053/m1/127/: accessed June 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.