The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 45, July 1941 - April, 1942 Page: 5
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Laredo City Election and Riot of 1886
Federal forces and had married a daughter of the Benavides
family, conducted a drug store just across the street. The
venerable Father A. M. Souchon, a native of France, was the
priest at San Agustin's, having served his parish since 1856.
The Veteran House was conducted by Mrs. W. C. Jones, on
the northeast corner from the old courthouse. Wm. Fitzmaurice
and C. L. Fowzer were undertakers, and George Dye was public
auctioneer as well as Justice of the Peace. Quintin Villegas, a
native Spaniard, was in the grocery business, as was also Joe
Sielski, of Polish ancestry. T. K. Hamilton owned the main
photograph gallery. J. Deutz & Sons, Germans, had a large
hardware store, and Alphonse Siros of France sold tinware
and roofing. George Pfeuffer and John 0. Buenz, both of
German origin, ran a lumber yard. The Commercial Hotel was
conducted by Joseph Christen, of French extraction, late of
New Orleans, with his son Louis Christen. A. M. Bruni &
Brother, natives of Italy, were proprietors of a wholesale and
retail store for dry goods, groceries, etc., on both sides of the
river. George Woodman & Brother sold hardware. J. Armengol,
a Spaniard, was located on Market Plaza with a wholesale and
retail grocery and liquor store. H. A. Burbank was postmaster.
H. Schmidt, a native of Germany, was the leading tailor, having
an establishment on both sides of the Rio Grande. Colonel C. G.
Brewster, later to become Collector of Customs, was in the
commission business. Jack Eistetter, a building contractor, had
just recently completed the new City Hall. Fred Underwood
was the leading jeweler. H. A. and Paul Sauvignet, from
France, were running the ice plant. Celestine Jagou, assisted
by Robert Fasnacht, both from France, catered to the elite in
wines and liquors as well as fancy cheeses, sausages, and other
seasoned condiments. Charles & Joe's place at the southwest
corner of Market Plaza was one of the leading thirst parlors,
conducted by Charles Moser, a Jew, and Joe Werthman, a
German. Grand old "Uncle" Johnny Thompson had the Laredo
Beer Garden and Ice Cream Parlor; Paul's Club Room was
popular; and the Crystal Palace Saloon was a favorite resort
on dusty days.
The medical profession was represented by Dr. J. H. T. King,
an old Indian campaigner, of the United States Health Depart-
ment, Dr. A. W. Wilcox, Dr. J. P. Arthur, and Dr. J. M.
McKnight. Dr. R. J. Randolph operated a favorite drug store,
Dr. L. M. Berg conducting the "Botica de Le6n," and Dr. Wilcox
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 45, July 1941 - April, 1942, periodical, 1942; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146053/m1/9/: accessed March 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.