The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 47, July 1943 - April, 1944 Page: 7
ESTABLISHING THE TEXAS COURT OF
D. W. OGLETREE
I. IN THE CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION, 1875
It is the purpose of this article to show how the Constitu-
tional Convention of Texas, in 1875, attempted to relieve the
overcrowded dockets of the higher courts of the state by re-
organizing the judicial branch of the state government.
The first part of the article deals specifically with the work
of this Constitutional Convention; some space is devoted to
the discussion of a few outstanding members of its Judiciary
Committee. These men, more than other members, saw the
need for the reorganization of the state judiciary; and this
essay attempts to give a brief record of their proposals, both
those which were rejected and those which were finally
written into the State Constitution.
The second part is devoted to the work of the State Legis-
lature in enacting the statutory measures necessary to the
establishment of the Texas court of appeals. It has been the
aim of the writer to give due consideration both to the at-
tacks made on the Judiciary Article and to the procedures
leading to the final solution of the problem by the Legislature.
1. Personnel of Committee on Judiciary
On September 8, 1875, the third day of the Texas Constitution-
al Convention, President E. B. Pickett announced the following
personnel of the Judiciary Committee: John H. Reagan, of
Anderson County, chairman; W. P. Ballinger, of Galveston;
Charles S. West, of Travis; John L. Henry, of Smith; W. B.
Wright, of Lamar; John W. Ferris, of Ellis; Lipscomb Norvell,
of Jasper; Henry Cline, of Harris; George McCormick, of
Colorado; F. S. Stockdale, of Calhoun; Charles DeMorse, of
Red River; Marion Martin, of Navarro; Bennett Blake, of
Here’s what’s next.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 47, July 1943 - April, 1944, periodical, 1944; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146054/m1/11/: accessed May 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.