The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 47, July 1943 - April, 1944 Page: 9
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Establishing the Texas Court of Appeals, 1875-1876 7
several weeks, but was finally released. He gave the British
his name as Charles D. Morse, but was enrolled among the
prisoners as Charles DeMorse. He adopted this name, and
it was ratified by a special act of the Texas Congress. He
served in the Texas Revolution both in the navy and the
army. In 1837 he was admitted to the bar and practiced law
in Matagorda and Austin. In the session of the Texas Con-
gress, 1841-1842, he was the reporter of the House, and for
a time edited a small daily paper, the first in Texas, ma-
terially sustained by Congress. This was the beginning of his
editorial career. In March, 1842, he moved to Clarksville and
established the weekly newspaper The Northern Standard. He
favored the secession of Texas from the Union and fought as
an officer in the Confederate army." In his fifty-ninth year,
at the time of the Texas Constitutional Convention, he was an
editor and farmer, and a member of the Grange."
W. B. Wright was born in Georgia. He came to Texas in
1855, settled in Lamar County, and engaged in the practice
of law.7 He frequently attended or practiced in the district
courts of Red River, Cass, Titus, Fannin, Grayson, Hopkins,
Lamar, Bowie, and Hunt Counties." He was a delegate from
Lamar County to the state convention in Galveston, April,
1860. The purpose of this convention was to select delegates
from Texas to the Democratic national convention in Charles-
ton, South Carolina. On December 15, 1860, at a mass meeting
of the citizens of Lamar County, he was made chairman of a
committee to propose a secession plan for Texas as the result
of the election of Lincoln.10 In the issue of January 19,
1861, of The Standard "W. B. Wright, Acting Presd't., Mem-
phis, El Paso, and Pacific R. R. Co." advertised for "sealed
proposals, to be received at the office of the Railroad Co. for
the Graduation, in section of five miles or more of said road:
beginning at the western terminus of J. B. Ives contract in
Red River County, and westward to the Paris Depot grounds-
about twenty miles." In 1861 he was elected to the Congress
5Encyclopedia of the New West, I, 259-261.
6Henderson, Directory, 1.
sThe Northern Standard (Clarksville), Nov. 28, 1857; Oct. 16, 1858;
May 28, July 9, and Sept 17, 1859; Jan. 16, June 1, Sept. 29, and Dec.
9lbid., Dec. 31, 1860.
llbid., Dec. 22, 1860.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 47, July 1943 - April, 1944, periodical, 1944; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146054/m1/13/: accessed April 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.