The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 47, July 1943 - April, 1944 Page: 77
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
ary 18, 1851, the congregation chose the name, the Church of
the Epiphany, for the parish, and Rev. Edward Fontaine be-
came rector. Five years passed and then in "April, 1856, about
twenty communicants of the Church of the Epiphany withdrew
to form another parish which they called Christ Church." To
repeat, these two parishes joined in 1859 to form St. David's
The interesting story of St. David's Episcopal Church is
told in only seventy-two pages, but the story is more than a his-
tory of the parish. It throws much light on the people and con-
ditions in the State's capital-on politics, social problems, and
the business of making a living. It is a directory of the names
of many of Austin's past and present families. The primary
interest of the writer, whose name, unfortunately, is not re-
vealed, has been to follow the thread of the spiritual experience
of St. David's parish, and for that he must be highly com-
Four of the fifteen illustrations are scenes of St. David's
Church; ten others show the rectors of the church; and the
remaining one is a plate of the three bishops of the diocese of
Texas-the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, the Rt. Rev. George
Herbert Kinsolving, and the Rt. Rev. Clinton Simon Quin. The
first five appendices give the names of the wardens and vestry-
men, the church school superintendents, the organists and
choir directors, the veterans of World War I, and the men from
the parish who up to November 1, 1942, had joined the armed
forces for the present war. Appendix F contains a list of the
fifty-five memorials and gifts of St. David's Church. On the
whole, the book makes a good impression and speaks well for
all who had a part in its production. It should grace the li-
braries of many Austin citizens, and it will in time become
increasingly important and valuable as an item of Texana.
R. L. BIESELE
The University of Texas
Cow Country. By E. E. Dale. Norman (University of Okla-
homa Press), 1942. Pp. 258. $2.75.
Although broad in scope and rich in historical data, this
book is easy to read, probably because it deals with a dramatic
event in history: the rapid development of the cattle raising
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 47, July 1943 - April, 1944, periodical, 1944; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146054/m1/81/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.