The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 48, July 1944 - April, 1945 Page: 96
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Dallas for location of county seat in 1850, losing. Now within corporate
limits of Dallas.
Cross Timbers, in Tarrant County, fourteen miles east of Fort Worth;
site in 1867 of the Rural Academy and the Mansfield Academy.
Duck Creek and Embree, in Dallas County near Garland. In 1886,
when the Santa Fe established the station of Embree, there was a
sharp rivalry between the two towns until the citizens finally agreed
to a post office on the site of the original Duck Creek, called Garland.
Fort Gates, near present town of Gatesville in Coryell County. Estab-
lished in 1849. Only town in county in 1853, but in 1854 post office
established at Gatesville and Fort Gates rapidly declined.
Golconda, once county seat of Palo Pinto County, which is one of the
few counties in Texas with complete records from date of organization.
However, there is no mention in the records of what became of Gol-
conda. Meetings of the commissioners court were held at Golconda in
May, 1858, and thereafter at Palo Pinto. As far as can be ascertained,
the name of Golconda for the county seat does not seem to have been
Grande Rancho, Palo Pinto County. In 1870 was the only post office
besides Palo Pinto; located on Palo Pinto creek and was headquarters
Howe Settlement, on Chambers Creek in Ellis County. Before organiza-
tion of Ellis County, when it was under the jurisdiction of Navarro, first
county court session of Navarro was held at this place. Later the town
of Forreston developed on this site.
Towash, in Hill County; described in 1878 as one of the principal
post office centers and having about 300 population. Situated on the
Brazos River and commanded large trade; an important Indian com-
munity prior to settlement of white people.
Mobeetie. In June, 1824, after the Adobe Walls fight, survivors settled
on Sweetwater Creek in what is now Wheeler County. They called the
place Hidetown. In 1875, Fort Elliott was established about a mile from
this town, and the name was changed to Sweetwater. It was known
as Sweetwater until 1879, when Wheeler County was organized. The
town of Sweetwater was designated as the county seat of Wheeler County,
and a post office was established there. But it was found that there
was already another post office in Texas of that name, so the name was
changed to Mobeetie, which is Comanche for Sweetwater. In 1888, when
the Fort Worth & Denver reached the Panhandle, it passed many miles
south of the old town of Mobeetie. In 1903. when the Rock Island was
built through Wheeler, a station was established called Wheeler, and later
the county seat was changed to this town. More recently old Mobeetie
has moved several miles to a new location on a railroad. This town
was for many years the chief trading point in the eastern Panhandle.
New Birmingham, in Cherokee County. Was scene of the great East
Texas iron rush in 1891. Was once prosperous community of about 3,500
and had electric lights and an electric street railway. After a brief
boom the town died. The last remaining houses were demolished a
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 48, July 1944 - April, 1945, periodical, 1945; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146055/m1/100/: accessed June 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.