The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 42
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
on the following Sunday a school was organized with thirty-two scholars.
There were not lacking intelligent gentlemen and ladies to act as
teachers, but of the other appurtenances of a well-regulated Sunday school,
we had none. This lack was supplied as best we could by contributions of
the citizens of such books as they had, and by the oral instructions of
superintendent and teachers.
The next Sunday found the school under way, and giving promise of
great success. A lecture was delivered each Sunday morning, intended for
both young and old. To hear these lectures people came from a distance
of ten miles, and as this town was the capital of the colony, many people
were sometimes in attendance from different parts of the country, who
carried the good seed here sown all over the colony.
This school and these morning lectures were continued regularly, and
were well attended until a difficulty occurred between some intelligent
Mexicans visiting the place from the interior and some citizens, growing
out of a lawsuit which was decided against the Mexicans. The Empressario
deemed it prudent to discontinue them for a time, as these Mexicans could
not be deceived in relation to the character of our exercises, and it was
well known that we were acting in violation of the colonization law, which
strictly prohibited Protestant worship and prohibited Austin from intro-
ducing any but Catholics as colonists.
Now, let us for a moment contemplate this little Sunday school. In a
black-jack and post-oak grove near the center of the town of Felipe de
Austin is a rude log cabin about 18x22 feet, the roof covered with boards,
held down by weight-poles; the logs unhewn, and the cracks neither
chinked nor battened; a dirt floor, and across it are placed several logs
hewn on one side, for seats. At one end stands the superintendent, a mere
stripling, and before him are about half a dozen gentlemen and ladies as
teachers, and thirty-two children, without any of those appendages which
are now considered necessary to a well-conducted Sunday school.
The preaching and teaching heretofore recounted was really
the work of individuals who happened to be affiliated with the
Baptist church and did not represent denominational activities.
The distinction of heading the first organized Baptist effort in
Texas goes to one Daniel Parker. He was born in Virginia, spent
his boyhood in Georgia, began to preach in 1802, and moved to
Palestine, Illinois, where he published a book, The Two Seed Doc-
trine, and was twice elected to the state senate. He had little for-
mal education but was endowed with much native ability and
leadership. In 1832, he visited Texas, moving there in 1833. He
served as a member of the Consultation in 1835 and of the Gen-
eral Council of the Texas provisional government. He construed
the Mexican colonization law as forbidding the organization of
any church other than Catholic but not prohibiting the immi-
gration of such an organization already formed. After the first
visit in Texas, he returned to Illinois and on July 26, 1833, or-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/51/: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.