The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 50
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
50 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
ville subscription, A. G. Haynes, E. E. Taylor, and his partner
and brother-in-law, Mr. Root, of Independence, donated a two-
story frame building known as Independence Female Academy.
The building had been bought in at sheriff's sale, one-half of
the amount being paid by Haynes and the other by Taylor and
Root, local merchants. This addition put the bonus of Indepen-
dence in the lead. Thus was acquired the first building of Baylor
On January 12, 1846, Henry L. Graves of Georgia was elected
president of the school, and Henry F. Gillett was selected teacher
of the preparatory department, which opened May 18, 1846.
The school opened with twenty-four students; before the close
of the first year the enrollment had reached seventy. At long
last the dream had become a reality.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/59/: accessed May 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.