The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 51
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
faylor Uicrsity, 1851-1861
JEFFERSON DAVIS BRAGG
BAYLOR UNIVERSITY began as a coeducational college; for
six years it consisted of one school taught by one faculty
under one administrative officer. The first important change
inaugurated by Dr. Rufus C. Burleson when he became presi-
dent of Baylor in 1851 was the organization of the institution
into two schools, a Male Department and a Female College with
classes taught in separate buildings, a mile apart, by separate
faculties.' After 1853 the women's college was known as the
Female Department. The first published catalogue of Baylor,
for the year 1851-1852, was divided into two sections, one de-
voted to the Male Department and the other to the Female
College. Afterwards separate catalogues were issued for the
two branches of the university. A common board of trustees
was the only official connection between the two schools.
The president of the university was the executive officer of
the school for men and boys; a principal directed the affairs of
the college for women. The principal nominated the teachers
for his department, recommended the granting of diplomas to
women graduates, and he and the president of the board of
trustees signed the diplomas.2 The president of the university
performed these functions for the male department. This sep-
aration of authority between the president and the principal
was a clearly established policy in this decade of Baylor's his-
tory. The catalogue of the male department for 1854-1855, for
instance, stated that the school for girls was "under the entire
supervision" of Professor Horace Clark, and a later catalogue
asserted that Clark was "entirely responsible" for the manage-
ment of the female department and that "all communications
in regard to it should be addressed to him."s
1J. M. Carroll, A History of Texas Baptists (Dallas, 1923), 226-227; Harry
Haynes, The Life and Writings of Rufus C. Burleson (Waco?, 1901), 121.
2Minutes of the Proceedings of the Board of Trustees of Baylor Univer-
sity (cited hereafter as the Minutes of the Board of Trustees), December
20, 1855; March 5, 1856; December 18, 1856; December 15, 1857. Texas
Collection, Baylor University. (All sources cited hereafter are located in
the Texas Collection, Baylor University, unless otherwise indicated.)
SFourth Annual Catalogue of the Trustees, Professors and Students of
Baylor University, 1856, p. 21.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/60/?rotate=270: accessed April 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.