The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 53
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Baylor University, 1851-1861
of the curriculum. Beginning in 1852, lectures were delivered
"in connection with the regular recitations" on such subjects
as modern history, mineralogy, history of the English language,
and on "Means of Preserving Health," and a course in "French
History of the United States" was added to the sophomore
studies.8 Beginning also in 1852, special emphasis was placed
on modern foreign languages, the study of Spanish and German
being regarded "as of the highest importance" by the faculty.
Spanish deserved a place in the curriculum, it was explained,
because of the proximity of Mexico and of the fact that the
original land grants in Texas were in Spanish, which made it
important "that facilities be afforded" to prospective lawyers
"for the acquisition of the Spanish language," since "many of
our students have the practice of law in view." German received
faculty approval because "already a large number of Germans
have settled among our population, and hundreds more are daily
arriving on our shores." It was announced with pride, there-
fore, that Baylor could "now furnish facilities for the acquisition
of French, Spanish and German not surpassed by any similar
Institution." Students preparing for the ministry were per-
mitted to study Hebrew instead of a modern foreign language.9
Baylor made a significant addition to its curriculum in 1855.
Up to that time the male department offered a four-year course
leading to the degree of bachelor of arts. In this year the men's
branch of the institution added a three-year "scientific course"
leading to the degree of bachelor of philosophy for the benefit
of those preparing for business pursuits "or those whose age
or means" did not "allow them to complete the regular course."
Entrance examinations for admission to this new curriculum
were given in English grammar, arithmetic, geography, and
the history of the United States. This, of course, was quite dif-
ferent from the examinations in Greek, Latin, and algebra re-
quired for admission to the regular classical curriculum. The
scientific course differed from the "collegiate course" mainly in
eliminating ancient and modern foreign languages from the list
of studies. The prospective "bachelor of philosophy" studied
the sciences, mathematics, history, rhetoric, philosophy, politi-
cal economy, and "Evidences of Christianity." The new course
was popular, and in 1856 eighteen students were occupied with
8Catalogue of the Trustees, Faculty and Students of Baylor University,
1852-'58, pp. 9-10.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/62/: accessed July 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.