The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 54
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
its studies, while twenty-two were enrolled in the "collegiate"
or classical four-year course.'0
Baylor was only four years old when the board of trustees
created a professorship of law with the proviso "that for the
present the duties of the professorship be discharged by the
voluntary services of A. S. Lipscomb and R. E. B. Baylor [trus-
tees] and such other professional assistance as they in con-
junction with" the president of the university might provide.1
The trustees were alert to the educational needs of Texas, and
in 1857 they established a law department with three teachers,
a seven-months course of study, and the degree of bachelor
of laws. A practice court under the supervision of the profes-
sors was a required part of the law studies.12 By November,
1859, twenty-nine men had graduated from the law department;
at that time thirty-three students were studying law, while only
nine were preparing for the ministry.13
In 1851 a committee of the board of trustees considered the
advisability of organizing a theological department but reported
that it was inexpedient to establish such a department
"regularly." The committee recommended, however, that the
president of the university "arrange" ministerial students in
a theological class and "give them whatever instruction" he
could.'1 In response to a recommendation of the Baptist State
Convention, Baylor authorities, in 1859, adopted a plan for a
theological department with the hope that arrangements could
be made to put it into operation in December, 1860. It was
planned to have at least "two pious intelligent and discreet
ministers to spend two or three months at Independence and
deliver a short course of familiar lectures" on theological sub-
jects.15 Apparently the plan did not materialize before Dr.
Burleson's resignation in 1861.
Medical education, too, received the serious consideration of
the Baylor board of trustees. That question was studied in
1858, and a committee of the trustees was charged with the
loCatalogue of the Trustees, Faculty and Students of Baylor University
for 1854 and '55, p. 8; Fourth Annual Catalogue . . . of Baylor University,
1856, pp. 5, 6, 9, 12-13.
"1Minutes of the Board of Trustees, April 2, 1849.
12Ibid., March 3, 1857; Sixth Catalogue of the Trustees, Professors and
Students of Baylor University for 1856 and 1857, pp. 16-17.
13Eighth Annual Catalogue of the Trustees, Professors and Students of
Baylor University, Male Department, 1859, pp. 31, 36.
14Minutes of the Board of Trustees, December 13, 1851.
1lEighth Annual Catalogue ... of Baylor University, 1859, pp. 30-31.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/63/: accessed March 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.