The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 55
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Baylor University, 1851-1861
responsibility of investigating the "propriety" of providing a
course in medicine. The committee made an unfavorable report,
and the trustees voted that it was "inexpedient to establish a
Medical Department at this time."''
There were ninety-four male students attending Baylor in
the session of 1851-1852. Only seventeen of these students,
however, were enrolled in college classes; the other seventy-
seven were in the preparatory school. Eighteen of the seventy-
one girls enrolled during this session were pursuing college
studies.17 Each branch of the university experienced a steady
growth in the 1850's, particularly in the number of college
students. In 1859 the total male enrollment was 233, and 110
of these were in the college department. One hundred women
were registered in college classes, and sixty-six girls attended
the preparatory school in the session of 1859-1860.'s Thus the
total enrollment in Baylor had grown from 165 in 1851-1852
to 399 in 1859-1860, and the registration of college students had
increased from 35 to 210.
The "Female Department" of Baylor was separated from the
men's school not only by having its own campus, faculty, and
administrative officer but also by offering a different curriculum
of studies. Girls, for instance, did not enjoy the privilege of
learning Greek grammar or reading Greek literature, and in
mathematics they did not venture beyond trigonometry. They
were permitted, however, to explore the mysteries of astronomy,
botany, chemistry, geology, meteorology, and physiology, to read
French, German, and Latin, and to study Bible, English, history,
political economy, and philosophy; and they had classes in
elocution and vocal music "throughout the course."9
Baylor placed considerable emphasis on training in music
and established a "Music Department," which enrolled more
than half of the women students in the session of 1859-1860.
Instruction was given in piano, harp, guitar, and voice. Several
hours a week were devoted to the teaching of the "fundamental
principles of written music." Beginning in 1857, public monthly
concerts were held "for the purpose of enabling the young artist
'6Minutes of the Board of Trustees, October 28, December 3, 1858.
17Catalogue of . . . Baylor University 1851-1852, pp. 6, 11.
IsEighth Annual Catalogue . . . of Baylor University, 1859, pp. 6-14;
Fifteenth Annual Report of the Female Department of Baylor University,
1859-60, p. 13.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/64/: accessed September 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.