The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 585
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
notes aHd 2ocmcts
(he Old Red oause at Vacogdoches
LOIS FOSTER BLOUNT
A leaf from the Reverend George L. Crocket's sketchbook
T HE REVEREND GEORGE L. CROCKET, a minister and friend
to all,, was well-known and well-loved. His years of service
to the people of Nacogdoches and San Augustine gave him a
thorough knowledge of the social history of East Texas and a
sympathetic understanding of its people. He knew their aspira-
tions, their accomplishments, their problems, their gains and
losses, and their dreams for the future. This knowledge was
based on an intimate acquaintance with the records of their
history as well as his association with them in their homes and
places of business.
Much of Crocket's leisure time during his ministry was spent
in collecting records of the past and in writing of both the past
and his own time. His talents were varied; he employed the
drawing pencil and paint brush as well as the pen. After he
had retired from the ministry, he devoted his time to the publi-
cation of his history, Two Centuries in East Texas.
Unfortunately, because of the great expense entailed in re-
production, his water color sketches of the old homes and public
buildings of Nacogdoches and San Augustine were not included
as illustrations in his book. He treasured and kept his sketch-
book, however, and shortly before his death he gave it to Dr.
Fred Tucker, his kinsman and friend. The sketchbook is now
owned by Mrs. Lucille Tucker and Fred Tucker, Jr., with whose
kind permission it has been placed in the historical collection
of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College.
All who have seen the sketchbook have fallen under the spell
of its charm and have been delighted that Crocket saved for
posterity a glimpse of these old homes of our ancestors. Al-
though the drawings frequently lack the proper perspective and
the precision of line of the trained artist, they have a certain
quaint charm and delicacy of their own, and they depict many
buildings, since torn down, of which no photograph or other pic-
ture now exists.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/670/?rotate=270: accessed June 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.