The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 586
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
The pencil sketch of the "Old Red House" of Nacogdoches,
which accompanies this article, is one leaf from Crocket's sketch-
book. In 1895, while he was rector of the Episcopal Church in
San Augustine, Crocket spent a week or two vacationing in
Nacogdoches and entertained himself by making sketches of the
old houses, buildings, and streets of the town. The sketch of
the "Old Red House" is chosen for reproduction here because
the story of the house is so closely interwoven with much of
the early history of Nacogdoches.
Site of the "Old Red House"
Once a prominent building in the old Mexican town of Nacog-
doches, only less well-known than the old Stone Fort, the "Old
Red House" was torn down shortly before 1912. Its days of
splendor and service had faded with the hustling growth of the
business section of the town in the early years of the twentieth
century. Only a granite slab, erected by the State of Texas
during the Centennial, marks its site and records on the cold
stone a few brief facts of its history-a colorless grey marker
for a once colorful old building.
The "Red House" stood near the principal plaza of the Mex-
ican town of Nacogdoches on the street that "runs from east
to west from the bayou La Nana to the bayou Banita," near
the corner of "the street that passes in front of the church."'
In other words, the building was on Pillar Street near the cor-
ner of North Street and almost in the center of the block imme-
diately west of the main square.
Building of the "Red House"
After the Fredonian Rebellion had threatened for a brief
period to create and establish an independent state in eastern
Texas, General Mateo Ahumada stationed the 12th Battalion of
The Mexican Army in Nacogdoches. Colonel Jos6 de las Piedras
was placed in command of the post to maintain order in the
district and control the frontier. The colonel found no buildings
in the town suitable for the accommodation of himself, his
officers, and his 320 Mexican soldiers. Shortly after his arrival
in April, 1827, Colonel Jos6 de las Piedras and his officers peti-
tioned the government of Mexico for grants to lots in the town
of Nacogdoches in order to build for themselves suitable dwell-
1Abstract of Title to the "Old Red House." Courtesy of Mr. Roy Gray,
Hoya Abstract Office, Nacogdoches, Texas.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/671/: accessed June 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.