The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946 Page: 615
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
H. BAILEY CARROLL
T EXAS HISTORY took a forward step with the creation, by
the Board of Regents of the University, of the Eugene C.
Barker Texas History Center. President L. W. Kemp of the
Association has written to the regents the following letter of
I heartily congratulate you and the other regents of the University of
Texas for setting aside the stately old Library Building as a depository
for the famous collection of Texana owned by the University and for
giving the building the name of the greatest Texas historian of all times:
Eugene C. Barker.
The following announcement, prepared by the University
News Service, was carried by hundreds of state papers:
The plan to create a repository of Texana in the old library building
of the University of Texas, to be known as the Eugene C. Barker Texas
History Center, is a fitting tribute to a man who has devoted a lifetime
to the study, the teaching, and the writing of the history of his native
Dr. Eugene Campbell Barker, teacher of history at Texas University
for forty-six years, is without doubt the state's pre-eminent historian.
So distinguished is Dr. Barker's reputation in his beloved field, so pains-
taking has been his study and research over the years, and so widely
admired and respected is he among all manner of men that his own life
and works form an important chapter of contemporary Texas history.
Desiring further to honor this Texan who for more than four decades
has diligently pursued the chronicle of things past, the University Board
of Regents at its November meeting unanimously approved the estab-
lishment of the Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center. Under the plan,
the old library building on the campus, now occupied by a miscellany of
offices, departments, classrooms, and storerooms, will be made the per-
manent home of all writings pertaining to Texas history.
There will be housed the University's magnificent Texas collection of
books, many of them rare and invaluable, dealing with the history of the
Lone Star state; the center will also be the repository for the Texas
archives-papers, letters, documents and pictures from the early days-
and the University's collection of Texas newspapers, both of an early
day and of the present.
From the standpoint of convenience to students, writers, and others
interested in Texas history, the center will be most valuable. At present,
those delving into Texana must go to the first floor of the main library
to examine the archives, drop to the basement if they are interested in
the newspapers, and ascend to the fourth floor to reach the book collection.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 49, July 1945 - April, 1946, periodical, 1946; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth146056/m1/702/: accessed April 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.