Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976 Page: 9
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
son Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal, Faith Christ Holiness
Sanctified Church, and Apostolic Pentecostal. These four
churches play an important role in the community. The Pine Grove
Baptist Church was organized in the year 1879. The first church
was on the site of the present home of Mr. and Mrs. Roosevelt
Johns. The church was organized under the direction of Rev.
Callaham, Rev. Bolton and Rev. Maxey, (three white members from
Macedonia Baptist Church) and Bro. Billie Alexander (a borrowed
deacon from Bethlehem Baptist Church, Carthage.)
APOSTOLIC PENTECOSTAL CHURCH
The Sunday School was organized in 1881. Also, a Matron So-
ciety for the yound adults and children has been established. Souls
have been added to the church roll and today there are approximate-
ly 500 members. The present pastor of the church is Rev. P.A.
The Johnson Chapel C.M.E. Church was organized in the early
1950's. The original name of the church was Henson Chapel. When
the church was named Henson Chapel, there wasn't a permanent build-
ing. The church held its services in the Pine Grove Church, in
the Westside School, in the Holiness Sanctified Church and in the
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Panola College. Dept. of Communications. Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976, periodical, 1976; Carthage, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth151414/m1/11/: accessed February 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Panola College.