Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976 Page: 10
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
community hal l.
The church was changed to Johnson Chapel when Elder R. R.
Johnson became their first permanent pastor. The church borrowed
three members from Mt. Zion CME, Carthage ans one from Walnut
Grove Baptist Chruch to act as the church progress committees.
The church has added modern facilities and has increased its mem-
bers to thirty. Elder A. McCallister is the present pastor.
The Faith Temple Christ Holiness Sanctified Church held its
first services March 3, 1970. The present church was established
in July, 1972. There are thirty members on the church roll.
Elder Dames Woods was the founder of the church and is now serv-
ine as the pastor.
The Apostolic Pentecostal Church of Jesus was established in
October, 1972. The church is relatively smal I with four member.
Rev. Theorman Pierce is serving as pastor.
Schools have also played an important role in the community.
Until 1955, schools were held in the Pine Grove Baptist Church
and in the Masonic Lodge behind this church. Westside Elemen-
tary was built in 1955, as a part of the Carthage Independent
School District. In 1970, Carthage Independent School District
moved these students to integrated schools in Carthage. The
School building is presently used as a Headstart Center. Some
of the principals were Mr. Eugene Dix, Mrs. Zephley Jones. Mr.
Oscar Williams, Mr. William Hinchen, Mr. Gettis Black, Mr. A.J.
Hudson and Mr. James Wall s.
Black Gold interviewed one of the first teachers, Mrs.
Annie Lou Lister about her days at the school. "The children
would Just play ball. The ball was made of an old stocking
with a rock in the middle." Other games that were oinved
were hop scotch, swinging, shooting marbles, pitching rings and
playing horseshoes. Other activities consisted of Easter 'ge
Hunts, Easter programs and Closing programs. These would consist
of speeches, plays, and songs .
One tradition of the school was the wrapping of the May Pole.
They would get a bie pole and put it inside the auditorium and
have ribbons nailed to the top of the pole. To music, twelve
students would go around the pole clockwise and twelve would eo
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Panola College. Dept. of Communications. Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976, periodical, 1976; Carthage, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth151414/m1/12/: accessed April 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Panola College.