Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976 Page: 18
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The present building of the Shady Grove-Gary Baptist
Church, organized in 1871.
Education also played a major role in the community. A log
building used to be the formal school. The children had to walk
many miles to school. Later, about 1900, the school was moved to
Mr. Nathan Harris was the first teacher in the school. When
Southside school was built, children from Gary Tap, located below
Nail Creek on Highway 59, transferred to that school, now a pri-
vately owned building.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Panola College. Dept. of Communications. Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976, periodical, 1976; Carthage, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth151414/m1/20/: accessed September 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Panola College.