Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976 Page: 22
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Walnut Grove Baptist
Church was organized in
These men built the tram by piling up dirt and making rows of
two by four's. The men would gather together with their can
hooks and go to different farms each week and help each farmer
clear his land. During that day the women would meet where this
work was being done and prepare meals for those who were working.
Since farming was the chief occupation, they went into town
only about once a week to get the things that they didn't raise
or produce on the farm. They bought such things as flour, salt,
soda, sugar, clothing (which included shoes, hats, etc.), and
kerosene, which was used for the lamps.
In 1893, the community fathers built a church made of eleven
by twelves lumber. The church land was deeded to Arch Crawford
and Bill Roberts. In the earlier days, the time of services was
the second Sunday of each month, and Sunday school was every sec-
" During revival times we had a regular meeting for a week.
We had service at twelve and then back at three. During that
time after all the general expenses were paid, we generally z ave
what was left to the preacher.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Panola College. Dept. of Communications. Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976, periodical, 1976; Carthage, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth151414/m1/24/: accessed January 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Panola College.