Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976 Page: 52
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
0 GRADUATE RESEARCHES GARRISO N
" C O L ORED SCHOOL " HI ST O R Y"a
By Pam Gates ..
. /, ...,
Last spring, Pam Gates, a former staffer from Garrison, TX,
interviewed former students, teachers and administrators of the
Garrison " Colored School," no longer in existence. BLACK
GOLD now publishes that report. Thank you, Pam, for the good
This is not a story about the history of a school but a
story of the memory of a place where teachers taught and learn-
ed, and students who were shaped into individuals who could
realize their worth as human beings.
The place was the educational institution known as Garri-
son Colored School. Mrs. Mable Johnson a late teacher at the
school, in my interview with her said it began about 1885, lo-
cated a half mile north west of the present townsite of Garrison.
The first school term lasted four months with one male teacher.
In 1890, employing a Mrs. Lucinda McAllister and lasting seven
months, the class was taught in a boxed-in space within a church.
The administration of the school was under what was then
known as the " community system of education." Any blacks who
desired to attend were eligible to enroll and attend.
The trades taught were not as formally organized as our
present-day curriculm. But the children had both class and
extra-class activities such as field trips, soap carving, and
making- articles from pine needles.
No local taxes were levied for building or maintenance; but
under the leadership of a male teacher, Mr. D. C. Thompson, and
donations of work, the first school was built in 1894.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Panola College. Dept. of Communications. Black Gold, Volume 3, Number 1, 1976, periodical, 1976; Carthage, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth151414/m1/54/: accessed November 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Panola College.