The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union And Confederate Armies. Series 1, Volume 32, In Three Parts. Part 2, Correspondence, etc. Page: 373
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
NASHVILLE, February 12, 1864.
Major-General THOMAS ,
Conversation with Major-General Foster has undecided me as to
the propriety of the contemplated move against Longstreet. Scho-
field telegraphs, the same views. I will take the matter into consid-
eration during the day, after further talk with Foster, and give you
the conclusion arrived at. If decided that you do not go I will
instruct Schofield to let Granger send off his veterans at once.
Should you not be required to go into East Tennessee, could you
not make a formidable reconnaissance toward Dalton, and, if suc-
cessful in driving the enemy out, occupy that place and complete
the railroad up to it this winter ?
KNOXVILLE, February 12, 1864-1.30 p. m. .
Major-General THOMAS, Chattanooga:
It is not practicable to move this army with artillery and wagon
transportation before spring, and then the railroad will have to be
relied on chiefly. The infantry might be supplied by a train of pack-
mules from this place if forage for the mules can be brought here
by rail until the railroad can be opened to any new position we may
With 10,000 additional infantry I believe I would be strong enough
without artillery to drive Longstreet out of East Tennessee. I can
have the pack train here by the 1st of March. If you can give me
10,000 infantry, and supply me here with provisions and forage, I
am willing to undertake the rest.
My opinion is, however, that it would be wiser to wait until spring,
lint am willing to leave by the 1st of March, if time is deemed of
I have telegraphed substantially the above to Major-General Grant.
J. M. SCHOFIELD,
Major- General, Commanding.
CHATTANOOGA, February 12, 1864..
Maj. Gen. U. S. GRANT:
I think an advance on Dalton would be successful, if you will let
.me have the divisiop of Logan during the movement.
GEO. H. THOMAS,
NASHVILLE, February 12, 1864--3.20 p. m.
Major-General THOMAS :
Logan's troops started yesterday morning. If I decide not to make
the move at present into East Tennessee, I will send them back,
unless you require them to aid in advance on Dalton. (See my tele-
gram of this morning.G*)
* See p. 373.
C OE P NIl sPolN DE pE, N. TO(.---U NIoN.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Other items on this site that are directly related to the current book.
The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union And Confederate Armies. Additions and Corrections to Series 1, Volume 32. (Pamphlet)
Errata sheets for the Records of the War of the Rebellion include additions and corrections to the text and the index for Series 1, Volume 32.
Relationship to this item: (Is Referenced By)
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
United States. War Department. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union And Confederate Armies. Series 1, Volume 32, In Three Parts. Part 2, Correspondence, etc., book, 1891; Washington D.C.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth152633/m1/373/: accessed February 23, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.