James Alvis Lynch, Founder of Mineral Wells

Description

This is a photograph of James Alvis Lynch, who founded Mineral Wells in 1881, is wearing a suit, sitting on a donkey, and holding a bottle of mineral water on an unknown rocky hill.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1907?.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: A. F. Weaver Collection and was provided by Boyce Ditto Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 531 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Boyce Ditto Public Library

The Boyce Ditto Public Library materials include local history from the A. F. Weaver Collection featuring resort souvenir guides and photos of Mineral Wells from its founding to the present. There is extensive coverage of the Hexagon House, the Baker Hotel, Camp/Fort Wolters and the many mineral wells that made the city a major resort in the first half of the 20th Century.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

This is a photograph of James Alvis Lynch, who founded Mineral Wells in 1881, is wearing a suit, sitting on a donkey, and holding a bottle of mineral water on an unknown rocky hill.

Notes

James Alvis Lynch discovered the mineral-laden water while searching for a source of water for his Millsap Valley farm. He dug a well, in 1878, to forty-one feet that was dry. The family continued to haul water from the Brazos River until 1880, when a man named Johnny D. Adams came through the county with a water-well drilling outfit.
Mr. Lynch traded a pair of oxen for him to drill a well, the first to supply water in the community. His son, C. C., was the first to taste the "funny-tasting water." Mrs. Lynch, however, drank the water, and in time, she was no longer bothered by the rheumatism that had plagued her. Other wells were soon drilled, and other "miracle" cures were reported. People flocked to the healing waters from near and far.
Mr. Lynch subdivided his property and laid out the town of Mineral Wells the following year, 1881.

Subjects

Keyword

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

A. F. Weaver Collection

This colorful panorama covers the founding of Mineral Wells through its mercurial growth as a resort center and army town up to the present. It features photos from local historian and photographer A.F. Weaver as well as local families and established research sources.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1907?

Covered Time Period

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Aug. 9, 2006, 5:09 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 29, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 3
Total Uses: 531

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

James Alvis Lynch, Founder of Mineral Wells, photograph, 1907?; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16136/: accessed December 11, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Boyce Ditto Public Library.