KORC 1140 On Your Dial

Description

A picture of a KORC-KBS Microphone--"1140 on your dial" is shown here. Mineral Wells' radio history dates back to the 1930's when Mr. Hal Collins, owner of the Crazy Hotel, began sponsoring broadcasts originating in the hotel lobby. The radio station was founded and owned by Mr. Achilles Corcanges, and aired its first broadcast on December 5, 1946. Radio station KMWT-FM began broadcasting from Mineral Wells in 1970. The broadcasts were aired nationwide, at noon daily, over the Texas Quality Network. It advertised Crazy Water Crystals. Both stations' call letters were changed in 1983 to KJAS-AM and KYXS-FM. Many show ...

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1946.

Context

This artwork is part of the collection entitled: A. F. Weaver Collection and was provided by Boyce Ditto Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 501 times , with 65 in the last month . More information about this work can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this artwork or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this work.

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this artwork as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this work useful in their work.

Provided By

Boyce Ditto Public Library

The Boyce Ditto Public Library materials include local history from the A. F. Weaver Collection featuring resort souvenir guides and photos of Mineral Wells from its founding to the present. There is extensive coverage of the Hexagon House, the Baker Hotel, Camp/Fort Wolters and the many mineral wells that made the city a major resort in the first half of the 20th Century.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this artwork. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

A picture of a KORC-KBS Microphone--"1140 on your dial" is shown here.
Mineral Wells' radio history dates back to the 1930's when Mr. Hal Collins, owner of the Crazy Hotel, began sponsoring broadcasts originating in the hotel lobby. The radio station was founded and owned by Mr. Achilles Corcanges, and aired its first broadcast on December 5, 1946.
Radio station KMWT-FM began broadcasting from Mineral Wells in 1970. The broadcasts were aired nationwide, at noon daily, over the Texas Quality Network. It advertised Crazy Water Crystals. Both stations' call letters were changed in 1983 to KJAS-AM and KYXS-FM.
Many show business luminaries appeared on the shows. For instance, Mary Martin of Weatherford began her singing/acting career here.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this work in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This work is part of the following collection of related materials.

A. F. Weaver Collection

This colorful panorama covers the founding of Mineral Wells through its mercurial growth as a resort center and army town up to the present. It features photos from local historian and photographer A.F. Weaver as well as local families and established research sources.

What responsibilities do I have when using this artwork?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this artwork.

Creation Date

  • 1946

Covered Time Period

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Aug. 8, 2006, 9:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Nov. 21, 2011, 10:33 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this work last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 65
Total Uses: 501

Where

Geographical information about where this artwork originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Artwork

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

KORC 1140 On Your Dial, artwork, 1946; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16268/: accessed December 10, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Boyce Ditto Public Library.