The Caldwell News and The Burleson County Ledger (Caldwell, Tex.), Vol. 48, No. 52, Ed. 1 Friday, March 9, 1928 Page: 1 of 8
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
« ■ *
And The Bnrlsaea County Ledger
I ' II
'ft 'v: • 1
A Weekly Newspaper Devoted Unreservedly to the Development and Upbuilding of Burleson County.
Burleion Co. Ledger, Vol. .8, No. IS .
CALDWELL. BURLESON COUNTY, TBXA8. MARCH 9. lt>8.
The Caldwell New , Vol. 1, No. 10.
CROWD IN CALDWELL LAST SATURDAY
est Civic Club Has Wonderful Record of Achievements
CITY IN IDEAL
MARKETING UNO TRADING CENTER
Many Coining Long Distances to Market Their Produce
And Do Their Shopping. Splendid Markets Are
ivided. All Kinds of Merchandise
Ottered at Favorable Prices.
Despite the threatening weather
last Saturday, an unusually large
crowd of people visited this city to
market their produce and p urchaae
their next week's supplies.
Many eggs and quantities of cream
were sold for cash or exchanged for
merchandise. Nearly every line of
business in the city reported very
good business for this season of the
The crowd began forming around
the noon hour, and by three o'clock
in the afternoon, it had assumed ra-
ther large proportions. Automobiles
were found parked solidly for several
blocks around the business section,
and the side walks and business
houses were fairly well crowded with
men, women, hoys and girls.
Those who did not come primarily
to trade, found entertainment, at the
picture show or mixing and mingling
with their friends. The day seemed to
have been spent 'or the transaction
of business or for the diversion of fng here regularly. Through friendli-
the people. Caldwell cordially wel-
comes people to its midst, with the
assurance that every thing in its pow-
er sociably and commercially will be
extended for their benefit.
While this is still the dull season
<rf the year, there was exrpessed evi-
dence that considerable trading in
different lines took place. The cold
drink firms were rushed at times. The
hardware stores reported a good bus-
iness, and the produce and supply
firms all seemed to have been busy,
indicating that the spring produce,
feed, seed and general supply business
was commencing to open up.
The only firms approacahed for an
expression as to business received,
that failed to report favorably, were
the dry goods merchants and the au-
tomobile dealers. These two lines re-
ported only fair business by the trade.
Saturday was an in between season
for them, and naturally it was not
supposed that business in their lines
would be great.
The banks were busy at the win-
dows, serving in various ways, but the
credit departments were unusually
quiet, indicating that the financial po-
sition of the people of the county is
trsonger than in some time.
The hatchery firms, Caldwell's two
latest business additions, were busy
places Saturday, indicating that their
lines are greatly appreciated. Both
hatcheries reported receiving many
new hatches of eggs.
The bakery, meat markets and cafes
were scenes of fair business.
Caldwell Excellent Trading Center
The citizens in the rural sections
are finding Caldwell to be an excel-
lent marketing and trading center.
Here they find splendid markets for
the major portion of their produce.
They find a splendid egg and cream
market and a good stock market. In
fact they find an exceptionally good
market for nearly all the marketable
things they have to sell. On the other
hand, they are also finding here in
Caldwell full line of most every
thing that they desire to buy. All the
dry goods stores are carrying full
lines of staple and fancy dry goods
and dress goods. The grocery stores
are carrying full stocks of groceries,
feeds, seeds and fertilizers. The hard-
ware merchants are carrying full
lines of farm implements, tools, fenc-
ing, cooking utensils, etc. The lumber
merchants aro carrying full stocks of
building materials, paints, etc. Then
there are the blacksmiths, five in num-
ber, where repairs of practically ov-
ary description may be made. Cald-
well has two of the most up-to-data
where meats of all Kinds may be pur-
chased, where livestock, hides, etc.,
may be sold. It has one of the most
up-to-date bakeries in the state where
bread, cakes and cookies of most ev-
ery description may be purchased. It
has nine or ten filling stations and
automobile agencies, where gas, oils,
accessories and automobiles may be
purchased. It has three splendid bar-
ber shops, good drug stores, two
wholesale groceries, two strong banks,
good oil mill, splendid gin ; two of
the largest transportation lin^f in the
world, good cafes, furniture ^Stores,
good physicians, dentists and Hiwyers.
In fact Caldwell provides every thing
necessary for the intelligest and ord-
erly conduct of business and com-
merce. Citizens far and wide are find-
ing Caldwell to be more and more a
very desirable place in which to trade,
and more people are coming to realize
Its commericial advantage and im-
portance, and more and more are trad*
ness, assuming a kind and interested
feeling in the welfare of the people at
large, it is slowly but surely building
a reputation and a prestige second to
none for a place its size.
E C. E HIS
Judge W. C. Davis, District Judge
of Brazos County District, has been
prevailed upon to deliver the princi-
pal address during the Father and
Son Banquet to be held at the Metho-
dist Church Thursday evening, March
15th, under the auspices of the Wes-
ley Brotherhood of the Methodist
Church. Judge Davis, besides being
an able jurist, is a fluent and forcible
speaker, fully capable of interesting
his audience. The Wesley Brother-
hood are very fortunate indeed in se-
curing the services of Judge Davis
for this auspicious occasion.
PIONEER CITIZEN PASSES
The News this week is called upon
again to chronicle the death of an-
other pioneer citizens, this time the
death of Mrs. Lucinda Raney, aged 92
years and 24 days. Mrs. Raney died
at the home of her son, B. F. Raney,
two miles west of Caldwell, March
5th, after a lingering illness. Mrs.
Raney's funeral was conducted Tues-
day afternoon, and interment was
made in Chriesman Chapel Cemetery,
below Deanville. Rev. Sanders offi-
Deceased was a native of Mississ-
ippi. She came to Texas with her pa-
rents when only twelve years of age
and located near Palestine. Some 50
years ago, she came to this county
and sttled near Deanville, and re-
sided in this county until her death.
Mrs. Raney was married to Wf.
P. Raney 74 years ago, who died
some 50 years ago. She is survived
by two children, B. F. Raney and
Mrs. Mattie Dean, of this county.
Monday afternoon Mrs. R. E. Kroll.
of Houston, daughter of Mr. and Mrs/
R. C. Poehl, of Birch, accompanied by «
bar another dropped into the News a#- ¡
fice very pleasantly to comment ite 0ver Qne MI|||on
- little on the Burleson County
a little on
roads. Mrs. Kroll and mother drove'
to Caldwell to do a little shopping and
naturally had to come some twelve
miles to get to town. Mrs. Kroll just
wanted to say a few words about the
roads in a very pleasant and agree-
able way. She said "during the past
few years I have traveled consider-
ably, but in all of my travels, I have
never driven over roads like the roads
you have in Burleson County, especi-
ally the Birch road." Why don't the
citisens of the county wake up and
build some good roads, Mrs. Kroll
asked. She said that in the long run,
they would certainly save money, and
give some enjoyment to those who
have to travel them.
We tried to explain as best we
could that the entire month of Feb-
ruary was a very rainy month, and
that was one reason why they were in
the rough condition that they are to-
day. This did not seem to explain to
her satisfaction. She continued to
hold to the idea that hard surfaced
roads would only suffice. We review-
ed about the periodic efforts that had
been made to vote good road bonds,
and told how the issue was defeated
each time. She couldn't understand
how any community of people could
oppose a movement of that kind. She
still held to teh opinion that good
roads should be built.
This is a question that the citizens
of Burleson County should constant-
ly think about. We can never hope to
have a county that will attract peo-
ple or continue to satisfy those who
live here, until we do something. I
am not advocating the building of
good roadB immediately, but as cit-
izens of the county, we must sooner
or later build a system oi roads in
the county that will assist in the de-
velopment of the county, a system of
roads that will serve the different
sections of the county. There are a
number of rich agricultural commun-
ities in the county virtually isolated
from the trade centers during the wet
seasons of the year. These should be
looked after as well as the other sec-
We appreciate Mrs. Kroll's frank
expression of the road system in Bur-
leson County, and told her that if we
could employe a few good talkers
like she and her mother, that we
thought that we could soon put over
a bond issue for good roads.
Compared With Eight Hundred
Thousands Last Year — Loans and
Cash Some Higher
Of 2,141,200 colored children at-
tending public schools during the
school year 1025-26, as reported to
the United States Bureau of Educa-
tios by school officials in 10 States,
the largest number, 282,841, were en-
rolled in Mississippi, where colored
children comprise 56.2 per cent of the
total school population of the State.
North Carolina came next, with an
Visits in Caldwell
Sgt. Harry T. Hardy, Recruiting
Officer of the U. S. Army with head-
quarters in Houston, was a Caldwell
(visitor two or three days the first
'part, of the week. His mission was
purely an educational one. He is en-
gaged in promoting a more general
knowledge of the general aims and
purposes of the army of today.
He instructed the News to state
that should there be any young men
in the county who would like to learn
about the service school the govern-
ment is conducting, that they may
oo so by getting in touch with him
whose address is 415 Zindler Building
Sg>. Hardy left here for Cameron,
where he expects to spend a few days
on a unüar motion.
enrollment of 854,026 colored child-
meat markets in the state for its sise, ran. — School Life.
The Wesley Brotherhood held ser-
vices at the Cook's Point Methodist
Church last Sunday afternoon. There
was a fairly good attendance and all
scorned to enjoy the servico. They
have appointments at Porter's Chapel
for next Sunday afternoon at 3 and at
Cravy Chapel the following Sunday.
Tuesday morning the National and
State Banking Departments called
on all banks for reports of their fi-
nancial condition as per close of bus-
iness February 28. The call found
both of the Caldwell banks to be in an
exceptionally healthy financial condi-
tion. Total deposits of the two insti-
tutions show to be $1,057,930.69, com-
pared with |816,678.60 one year ago.
Total loans of both institutions show
$741.398.00, compared with $593,924
ope year ago.
The folowing is a summary of
each bank's deposits:
The Caldwell National Bank, $496,-
First State Bank, $561,839.20.
It was impossible to obtain the fig-
ures of the four other banks of the
county for this issue of the News.
■n,e Caldwell banks reflect a similar
condition of the others, which is con-
vincing that the financial position of
fc unty is greatly improved over
t of one year ago.
DEJMVILLE SCHOOL ~
ACTS ON COUNTY
AGENT'S NEW WORK
Deanville ranks as being the first
community in the county to respond
to the recent activity proposed by
Mr. Childress, with reference to pur-
chasing better dairy cattle, establish-
ing acres of poultry, rat eradication
and conducting a better kitchen con-
Wednesday morning Mr. Childress
received several inquiry forms duly
filled out by various farmers of the
Deanville showing that that commun-
ity is exceedingly favorable to the ac-
tivities he has proposed and that they
During the past two weeks Mr.
Childress and Mr. Plunneke have vis-
ited nearly every school in the coun-
ty advocating these measures and
this week answers are commencing to
Company E, 143rd Infantry, was in-
spected Thursday night, March 1st,
by Capt. Dikes of the regular army.
Company E was given the rating of
"Very Satisfactory," which is the
highest rating that can be given.
Company E has been organised
three years and and has been Feder-
ally inspected once each year, the oth-
i r two inspections being the same as
t hi« one.
Among the out of town officers
here for the inspection were Major
Albert Tucker, U. S. A., Senior In-
structor of 143d Infantry, T. N. G.,
with headquarters in Waco, Texas,
' apt. Paul Taylor of the Adjutant
General's Dept., Austin, Texas; Capt.
Nupoleon Rainbolt, I. P. T. Officer
of 143d, Infantry, T. N. G., also of
Waco; and Sgt. Instructor Girón, U.
S. A., Waco, Texas.
Miss Lois Ward was hostess to a
few friends at her home Monday ev-
ening, where "42" was the principal
diversion. Music and delicate refresh-
ments were a welcome part of the
CLUB ORGANIZED MANY VEAfiS ICO
IS STILL DOING EXCELLENT IRK
Woman's Club Has Served The Community WelL It Has
Several Outstanding Achievements to Its
Credit Which Every Citisen of the
Community Should Appreciate.
The Woman's Club has been on in-
fluential factor in the civic history of
Caldwell for the past sixteen years.
Many branches of public welfare work
have been engaged in, and a resume
of the work accomplished reveals
In September of 1912, at the request
of Mrs. J. Earl Porter, the following
ladies met and organized the Self Cul-
ture Club: Mesdames Earl Porter, I.
E. Brooks, J. R. Hartgraves, JeBse
Garrett, Wade Taylor, J. F. Cobb, R.
S. Bowers, J L. Giddings and Misses
Kathleen Cade and Zelda Heslep.
Realizing that "Self" was a mis-
nomer, since the organization at once
began to function for others, the word1
was dropped and it became known as
the Caldwell Culture Club. When the
great war broke out, even culture was
forgotten in the need and desire for
service, and so the name henceforth
became "The Woman's Club."
Joins State and National Federation
Mrs. I. E. Brooks was named «ié
first president, and one of the earliest
steps taken was to join the State and
National Federation of Woman's
Club's. Throughout the years of its
life the Federation has been a scource
of inspiration and help. During this
first year the Club brought to Cald-
well a Lyceum, a high tppe of a-t.
Becomes Active In Civic Work
In 1914, with Mrs. J. R. Hart-
graves as president, a lease on the
plot of land lying east of the Santa
Fe tracks was obtained, and Wood-
row Wilson Park was laid out. For
many years therealter these grounds
were beautified; a band stand was
built; many shrub trees, hedges, and
annuals were planted; but lack of co-
operative help proved too great a
barrier and reluctantly the organiza-
tion was forced to abandon it.
Installs Drinking Fountains At
Mrs. . F. Cobb was the third pres-
ident, and the Club during her regime
bought and installed the first drink-
ing fountains at the public school.
Mrs. C. S. Williams in 1915 assum-
ed the presidency of the Club. She
caused a Park Association to be or-
ganized, the dues of which went to
the maintenance of the Park.
A public library had, from the be-
ginning, been in the minds of these
women and plans had been laid. Ac-
cordingly, in 1916, when Mrs. Bettie
Merrin became president, the library
was formally established, the history
of which recently appeared in the col-
umns of this paper.
Active During World War
When Mrs. Jesse Garrett came to
be president in 1917, the World War
was in full swing, and all literary and
civic work was practically abandon-
ed for war work. This Club was a val-
uable assistant in Red Cross work;
made Liberty Loan drives; served and
knitted for the soldiers, and helped
put oer the conservation program.
In the Spring of 1919, with Mrs.
A. S. Whitehurst as president, a lun-
cheon was held at the Caldewll hotel
which is a delightful memory to all
Entertained District Convention
Mrs. E. F. McCarty wj., the eighth
president, and during tlfis administra-
tion it was definitely decided to en-
tertain the Convention of Fourth Dis-
trict Federation. Never before had so
small a town undertaken t:his task.
It required funds as well as work,
and so they served a big banquet for
the K. of P. Lodge and netted $180.
Mrs. R. S. Bowers succeeded to the
president's office and plans were con-
tinued for the entertainment. The
town remembers, no doubt, the event
which was a complete success and
worth while-from every view point.
Mrs. W. M. Stone was the next
president and she instituted the Pres-
sident's Birthday Fund. Each presi-
dent cheerfully subscribed ten dollars
toward a fund for a Club Home. Up
to this time the club had met in vari-
ous homes, and the library was hous-
ed in whatever place proved available.
Own Home Purchased
This fund, augmented by other
means became sufficient to make a
first payment on a library building.
Accordingly, when Mrs. H. D. Cherry
was president, the house and lot on
Buck Street, which now shelters the
library and is«the meeting place of the
club, was purchased for $2,000.
By this time the literary programs
had been resumed and the term cf of-
fice had been extended to two years,
so Mrs. J. Earl Porter, the twelfth
president, served from 1923-25. Dur-
ing these years every energy was cen-
tered on the thought of lifting the
debt. Large banquets were served;
bazars were held, home talent shows
produced, and they realised) about $1,-
200 as a result.
During the administration of Mrs.
A. B. Gerland the rest of the debt was
paid, and a new fund was created
looking toward the erection of a mod-
ern building on this attractive site.
The present president, Mrs. J. W.
Ragsdale, has instituted a City Beau-
tiful idea. Crepe Myrtles have been
selected as the shrub for city and
county use in beautification. One hun-
dred Crepe Myrtles were sold here
this spring, and it is hoped that the
idea will grow and spread into the ru-
ral districts so that passersby will
be attracted and influenced by the
beauty of our community.
This Woman's Club has not solicited
fund? to further its plans. It has al-
ways made its own way, but when
the time is ripe for the erection of a
library building it is expected that
every progressive citizen will lend a
hand toward making this building a
Sunday the congregation of the
German Methodist Church four miles
north of Caldwell, gave their pastor,
Rev. Arthur Ellie, a birthday dinner
under the beautiful grove of trees in
Mr. Henry's Steele's pasture. Theee
who have ever partaken of the feasts
prepared by these good women, know
what a sumptuous repast was spread.
After dinner a beautiful birthday
cake with candles was presented to
Rev. Arthur Ellie. When he counted
the candles and discovered that the
ladies had an incorrect idea of his
age, Rev. Ellie instituted a guessing
contest. It was finally proclaimed
that Brother Ellie was forty-one years
The day was a most enjoyable one,
and bespoke the good will and esteem
in which this beloved pastor is held.
Miss Lester Teague and Clarence
Lee Taylor, both of Caldwell, were
united in marriage by Rev. W. O.
Wright, at the Baptist parsonage in
the presence of a few intimate friends
The groom is the bookkeeper for the
Gulf States Utilities Company, while
the bride, who is the youngest daugh-
ter of Ransome Teague, holds a re-
sponsible position in County Tax Col-
lector's office. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor
have returned from a trip to several
points in South Texas and are domi-
ciled is the home of Mrs. Emmie
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Newspaper.
Cromartie, C. E. The Caldwell News and The Burleson County Ledger (Caldwell, Tex.), Vol. 48, No. 52, Ed. 1 Friday, March 9, 1928, newspaper, March 9, 1928; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174790/m1/1/: accessed August 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Harrie P. Woodson Memorial Library.