[Capitol Hotel, Marshall]

Description

The Capitol Hotel in Marshall existed from 1857 to 1971 at the corner of Houston and Bolivar Streets in Marshall. It was predated by the Adkins House and was succeeded by the Hotel Marshall, which still stands. The Capitol was financed by George A. Adkins and built by two slaves, Dick Land and Green Hill. The hotel had a colorful history due to the momentous times of the Civil War and visits by noted Texans. After the Hotel Marshall was built next door, owner Sam Perkins bought the Capitol and made it an annex of the larger hotel. The Capitol ... continued below

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Texas History Collection and was provided by Marshall Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 156 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Marshall Public Library

The Library was organized in 1902 and continues to serve the area. The Marshall Public Library provides access to local history photographs documenting their Library and notable African-American citizens instrumental in the East Texas city's development.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

The Capitol Hotel in Marshall existed from 1857 to 1971 at the corner of Houston and Bolivar Streets in Marshall. It was predated by the Adkins House and was succeeded by the Hotel Marshall, which still stands. The Capitol was financed by George A. Adkins and built by two slaves, Dick Land and Green Hill. The hotel had a colorful history due to the momentous times of the Civil War and visits by noted Texans. After the Hotel Marshall was built next door, owner Sam Perkins bought the Capitol and made it an annex of the larger hotel. The Capitol was razed in 1971. A historical marker on the lawn west of the Hotel Marshall records the hotel's history.

Notes

Duplicate of Slide #402.

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Texas History Collection

Drawn from collections at the UNT Libraries and various partners, these materials about Texas history include artifacts, books, documents, manuscripts, photographs, maps, letters, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Sept. 15, 2006, 1:47 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 20, 2007, 5:51 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 156

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[Capitol Hotel, Marshall], photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17759/: accessed December 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Marshall Public Library.