[Singleton's Cafe in Marshall]

Description

Singleton's Cafe in Marshall dates at least from the 1940's to 1975. It was owned by African-American businessman A. J. Singleton. There were two cafes during the early years: one located on N. Wellington in the downtown area, and this building located at 1203 W. Grand (Hwy 80). By 1957, there was only the W. Grand cafe pictured here. The building is a one-story structure either built of concrete block or faced with composite siding. Lettering on the window at right appears to be "CAFE." Other windows have printed matter in them. A wing extends from the left side. Both ...

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Texas History Collection and was provided by Marshall Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 54 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Marshall Public Library

The Marshall Public Library partners with us to provide access to local history photographs documenting their library and notable African-American citizens instrumental in Marshall's development. Many of the individuals pictured in the images were featured in the oral history project "The Black Citizen and American Democracy: Black Culture in Harrison County, Past, Present, and Future."

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Singleton's Cafe in Marshall dates at least from the 1940's to 1975. It was owned by African-American businessman A. J. Singleton. There were two cafes during the early years: one located on N. Wellington in the downtown area, and this building located at 1203 W. Grand (Hwy 80). By 1957, there was only the W. Grand cafe pictured here. The building is a one-story structure either built of concrete block or faced with composite siding. Lettering on the window at right appears to be "CAFE." Other windows have printed matter in them. A wing extends from the left side. Both facades are shaded with metal awnings. The building appears as though unoccupied at the time of this picture.

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Texas History Collection

Drawn from collections at the UNT Libraries and various partners, these materials about Texas history include artifacts, books, documents, manuscripts, photographs, maps, letters, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Covered Time Period

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Sept. 14, 2006, 7:23 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Nov. 13, 2007, 1:15 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 54

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[Singleton's Cafe in Marshall], photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18145/: accessed August 23, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Marshall Public Library.