The Dallas Journal, Volume 42, 1996 Page: 43
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Buckner Orphan's Home
Dr. Robert C. Buckner opened the Orphan's Home with a rented three-room
cottage with two acres of land in Dallas on December 2, 1879 with only three children.
John Cruse from McKinney
Alice Cruse from McKinney
John Jones from Ellis County
In September 1880, Buckner purchased the permanent site, a forty-four-acre tract
in east Dallas, priced at seventeen dollars an acre. Members of the board knelt in a log
cabin on the property two days later and dedicated the home. Six children were moved to
a new residence on the site in 1881. The home still operated at this location in 1889.
. . . In 1914 Buckner asked the Baptist General Convention of Texas to take over
operation in order to assure its future. He died on April 9, 1919, still serving as general
manager. When leadership was passed to his two sons, there were around 600 children in
the home. The two new leaders launched one of the largest building campaigns in
Buckner's history to modernize and update the campus. In the next 20 years a completely
new campus emerged--including 20 fire-proof buildings and paved streets. The home's
junior and senior high schools were upgraded and accredited in the 1920s. Forty years
later the children began attending public schools in the community.2
In the Dallas County 1900 Census there are 295 children and caretakers listed.
County of Dallas, State of Texas
1900 Census Abstract
(between E.D. 134 and 135
Recorded 6 June - 8 June, 1900
by Robert C. Buckner
NARA Series T-623
' R.C. Buckner's Life of Faith and Works by J.B. Cranfill and J.L. Walker, Buckner Orphan's Home,
1915, Dallas, Texas, pg 88.
2 The New Handbook of Texas by the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, 1996, Austin, Texas,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Genealogical Society. The Dallas Journal, Volume 42, 1996, periodical, December 1996; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth186855/m1/49/: accessed May 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Genealogical Society.