The Dallas Journal, Volume 51, 2005 Page: 1
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Dallas Genealogical Society Turns Fifty
Margret Hancock Pearce
The Dallas Genealogical Society and the North
Texas genealogical community remember with
gratitude their ancestors in the discipline who
founded the Local History & Genealogical
Society in Dallas fifty years ago.
Their first meeting was held on January 17,
1955. The thirty-some members met at noon in
the Downtown YMCA. Under President John
Plath Green, annual dues for the new society
were set at five dollars, and a monthly bulletin
was approved. The meeting was reported in the
first one-page newsletter, called The Bulletin.
The masthead reads: Local History &
Genealogical Society, cooperating with the
Dallas Public Library, Volume 1, Number 1,
February 21, 1955.
The society's statement of purpose was
* To create, foster and maintain interest
among citizens of Dallas County in the
Genealogy and Local History Section of
the Dallas Public Library.
* To collect and preserve information
relating to those pioneers who settled
Dallas County and to the early history of
this City and County.
* To preserve church, cemetery and land
records, testamentary documents, diaries
and manuscripts, and other source
materials wherein are chronicled the
achievements of those who laid in the
wilderness the foundations of this great
* To copy and index all such records, and
to catalogue them so as to make this
information most readily available to
present and future generations.
* To collect and make available through
the Dallas Public Library the published
records of other States, whence came the
* And to exchange ideas and collaborate in
devising efficient methods for
genealogical and historical research.
Thus began the fifty-year history of leadership
provided by the Dallas Genealogical Society.
Mr. Green served on the board of the Dallas
Public Library, advancing the interests of the
genealogy section and paving the way for other
society members. DGS leadership has been
instrumental in raising the standards of
genealogical research in this area through its
publications, workshops, and seminars.
The society's first project was the compilation
of a bibliography of all books and pamphlets in
the Dallas Public Library dealing with
genealogical material. The project was patterned
after one in St. Louis that was published in book
form in 1953, a copy of which was available in
the Dallas library. The book was a most
valuable help in simplifying research by
genealogists in the St. Louis library, and the
inventory of material in the Dallas library was
expected to be such an aid to researchers here.
DGS periodicals have enhanced the Dallas
genealogical environment over the last half
century. The newsletter continued as The
Bulletin until 1988. Then under President
Sammie Lee, The Bulletin went from a one-page
legal-size newsletter, printed front and back, to
a four-page newsletter with a new name and
masthead, DGS Newsletter.
It was in 1957 that the society established the
first quarterly, to be published in March, June,
September, and December of each year. The
Dallas Quarterly, which published records
Dallas Journal 2005 1
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Genealogical Society. The Dallas Journal, Volume 51, 2005, periodical, October 2005; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth186864/m1/5/: accessed January 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Genealogical Society.