The Dallas Journal, Volume 51, 2006 Page: 77
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Certified Lists of Graduating Students from Dallas
Independent School District High Schools, 1915 - 1920
The following article contains certified lists of
Dallas high school graduates for the years 1915
to 1920 inclusive. The lists were found in the
bound volumes of Minutes of the Board of
Education in the DISD vault in the
Administration Building at 3700 Ross Avenue
in Dallas. Although Board minutes exist going
back into the late 1800s, the year of 1915 was
the first in which lists of graduates were
included. No graduate list for the spring
semester of 1919 was found in the minutes.
The names in the original lists were, for the
most part, in alphabetical order. In many cases,
however, additional names were added at the
end of a list. For some years and some schools,
boys and girls were listed separately; in other
years and other schools all the names were
alphabetized together. I have tried to maintain
the order of the original.
The schools represented in these lists are Main
High School (later called Bryan Street High
School), Oak Cliff High School, Forest Avenue
High School, and the Colored High School.
The school referred to here as Main and Bryan
Street High School was Dallas' first high
school. Located on Bryan Street near Pearl, it
was built in 1884 as Central High School. It
became Dallas High School in 1908, and Main
High School in 1915. In 1917 the school was
renamed Bryan Street High School (Bryan
Street being named for John Neely Bryan,
founder of Dallas.) Norman R. Crozier was the
principal from 1915 through 1918, followed by
S. E. Gideon in 1919 and S. W. Alexander in
1920. Mr. Crozier went on to become DISD
Superintendent, and in the 1940s Bryan Street
High School was renamed N. R. Crozier
Technical High School. The school was closed
and sold in the 1990s, and remains boarded up
and unused today.
Oak Cliff High School opened its doors in 1915
with W. H. Adamson as its first principal. He
served until 1934 and died a year later,
whereupon Oak Cliff High School was renamed
W. H. Adamson High School. Located at East
9th Street and Beckley in Oak Cliff, Adamson
High School still educates Oak Cliff youth
Forest Avenue High School was built in 1915 at
Forest Avenue and Meyers, and saw its first
graduates in the winter term of 1917. E. B.
Cauthorn was the first principal. In 1956, the
name was changed to James Madison High
School. 3 The street Forest Avenue is now
Martin Luther King Blvd.
The original Dallas Colored High School was
built in 1890 at Hall and Cochran in Dallas.
W. O. Bundy was the principal in 1915 and
1916, succeeded by B. F. Darrell in 1917 and
C. F. Carr in 1920. When Booker T.
Washington High School opened in 1922, the
Colored High School became the B. F. Darrell
Elementary School. It was closed in 1969 and
later torn down. The lot at Hall and Cochran still
stands vacant. The name B. F. Darrell was
transferred to a new facility in East Oak Cliff.
Acknowledgements: Thanks to Ralph Fentress
Black; Jean Buckley, DISD Construction Records
Manager; and Robert Johnston, retired DISD
administrator and Board of Education Secretary, for
contributions to this article.
2 Dallas Independent School District website
3 Dallas Independent School District website
Dallas Journal 2006 77
Dallas Journal 2006
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Genealogical Society. The Dallas Journal, Volume 51, 2006, periodical, October 2006; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth186865/m1/81/: accessed April 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Genealogical Society.