The Dallas Journal, Volume 55, 2009 Page: 3
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Certified Lists of Graduating Students from Dallas Independent
School District High Schools, 1922 - 1924
This article is a continuation from the 2008 Journal of graduates from Dallas Independent
School District high schools. The schools represented here are Bryan Street High School, Forest
Avenue High School, Oak Cliff High School, North Dallas High School, and Booker T.
Washington High School.
The school referred to here as Bryan Street High School was Dallas' first high school. Located
on Bryan Street near Pearl, it was built in 1884 as Central High School. It became Dallas High
School in 1908, and Main High School in 1915. In 1917 the school was renamed Bryan Street
High School (Bryan Street being named for John Neely Bryan, founder of Dallas). Norman R.
Crozier was the principal from 1915 through 1918, followed by S. E. Gideon in 1919 and S. W.
Alexander in 1920. Mr. Crozier went on to become DISD Superintendent, and in the 1940s
Bryan Street High School was renamed N. R. Crozier Technical High School. The school was
closed and sold in the 1990s, and remains boarded up and unused today.
Forest Avenue High School was built in 1915 at Forest Avenue and Meyers, and saw its first
graduates in the winter term of 1917. E. B. Cauthorn was the first principal. In 1956, the name
was changed to James Madison High School. ' Forest Avenue is now Martin Luther King Blvd.
North Dallas High School opened to partial occupancy at 3120 North Haskell Avenue in
February, 1922. Full occupation followed in the 1922-23 school year. E. B. Comstock was the
first principal. The school continues to educate students today at the same location.2
Oak Cliff High School opened its doors in 1915 with W. H. Adamson as its first principal. He
served until 1934 and died a year later, whereupon Oak Cliff High School was renamed W. H.
Adamson High School. Located at East 9th Street and Beckley in Oak Cliff, Adamson High
School still educates Oak Cliff youth today. 3
Booker T. Washington High School opened in 1922 at 2501 Flora Street, the first occupant of
what is now known as Dallas' Arts District. C. F. Carr was the first principal. All African-
American students in Dallas County attended this school for the next seventeen years. In 1952,
the school was enlarged and became Booker T. Washington Technical School. In the mid-1970s
it was enlarged again to become the Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and
Visual Arts. The school was designated a Dallas City Landmark in the 1980s.4 In the early 21st
century, the school closed for several years for major renovation and addition, reopening in
Dallas Independent School District website http://www.dallasisd.org/.
2 Information provided by Jean Buckley, Construction Records Manager, DISD.
3 Dallas Independent School District website http://www.dallasisd.org/.
4 Dallas Historical Society online: http://www.dallashistory.org/history/dallas/btw.htm.
Pegasus News online: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008/mar/01/dallas-arts-magnet-return-arts-district-
The Dallas Journal, 2009 3
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Genealogical Society. The Dallas Journal, Volume 55, 2009, periodical, October 2009; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth186868/m1/5/: accessed May 28, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Genealogical Society.