The Dallas Journal, Volume 55, 2009 Page: 92
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
First Congregational Church Early History
The First Congregational Church of Dallas, Texas, was organized under the auspices of the
American Home Missionary Society by the Rev. Henry M. Daniels, Missionary, on the seventh
day of January, 1877, at Crowdus' Hall, northwest corner of Main and Austin Streets. Rev. H.
M. Daniels was pastor until December, 1879.
Rev. H. M. Daniels
Master Joseph Harrington
Mrs. Frances B. Daniels
Lucius C. Parker
Mrs. Nellie Lathrop
George S. Webber
Mrs. E. M. Stokes
Mrs. George S. Webber
Mr. E. M. Stokes
Mrs. C. Brown
Mrs. Kittie Gray
Miss Martha Brown
Miss Ida Stokes
Miss Hattie P. Nye
Mrs. Anna E. Harrington
Louis H. Page
In 1880 Rev. W. C. McCune became acting pastor. He remained in that position until the spring
of 1882. During Mr. McCune's pastorate, a frame church building was erected on the north side
of Pacific Avenue at the intersection of Live Oak Street. The building, immediately after its
formal dedication, was struck by a cyclone and destroyed. Friends came to its assistance.
Through the American Congregational Union, $2750.00 was raised, and the church bought a lot
at the corner of Bryan and Harwood Streets. A new house of worship was soon erected.
In August, 1882, Rev. C. I. Scofield came as a supply pastor. He was called to its settled
pastorate June 29, 1883, by a unanimous vote. On Wednesday, October 17, 1883, he was duly
installed as pastor of the church.
There were fourteen resident members at the time:
Mrs. Annie E. Gage
Mrs. Cordelia Page
Mrs. J. M. Wendelken
Miss Etta Page
Mrs. Cora T. Dickinson
Louis H. Page
Mrs. Elizabeth Dougherty
Mrs. Ida Stokes Page
Mrs. Myra Temby
Miss Josie Temby
Mrs. Ella F. Parker
In 1888, the church was represented on mission ground by Miss Eva Swift, of the Madura
Mission, South India. Another member, Thomas Meade MacDonnell, was a student in Chicago
Theological Seminary. By the close of the year two hundred and seventy-five persons had been
received into the church, and plans were made to proceed with the erection of a new building.
The Dallas Journal, 2009
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Genealogical Society. The Dallas Journal, Volume 55, 2009, periodical, October 2009; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth186868/m1/94/: accessed July 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Genealogical Society.