The Dallas Journal, Volume 56, 2010 Page: 29
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Oakland Cemetery, Dallas,Texas
Suzan Younger and Barbara A.Ware
Oakland Cemetery was organized and opened in 1892. Its merits and progress were described in
the Dallas Morning News in 1893.1 The original plan called for 180 acres on Burr Lane, which
was renamed Oakland Avenue, following the design ideas of the rural landscape or garden
cemetery popular in the early 19th century. Today the cemetery contains about 60 acres on the
road now named Malcolm X Boulevard. There are 34 numbered sections in the cemetery with
over 37,000 burials. Approximately 1,072 burials are located in Section 3. Section 1 was
published in The Dallas Journal, volume LIV in 2008. Section 2 was published in The Dallas
Journal, volume LV in 2009. The cemetery is still an active cemetery.
The cemetery is divided into sections containing lots and sections containing tiers (rows). Each
lot generally is divided into 12 plots, usually two rows of six graves each. A family may have
purchased all or part of a lot or parts of two lots creating such designations as Lots NW'/2 17 and
SE'/2 19 as found on the interment cards. The sections containing tiers may have varying number
of rows (tiers) and plots. Some sections have both lots and tiers.
Information for the Oakland Cemetery transcription comes from the actual tombstones, interment
cards,2 lot owner cards, singles and alpha singles ledger.4 Notes are included in brackets [ ] for
information found in the sources other than the tombstone. Researchers are encouraged to use a
number of sources to document dates. All of the ledgers and cards, except the current singles
ledger, have been film by the Genealogical Society of Utah (GSU). The original records are
located in the Oakland Cemetery caretaker's office located on the grounds of the cemetery at
3900 Oakland Circle (at Malcolm X Blvd.) Dallas, Texas. Copies of the GSU microfilms are
available in the Texas/Dallas History and Archives section, 7th floor, of the J. Eric Jonsson
Public Library, 1515 Young Street, Dallas, Texas.
The Dallas Genealogical Society (DGS) Oakland Cemetery survey team of Suzan Younger,
Shari Degan, Alvin Harper, Barbara A. Ware and Tresa Gomez recorded all the visible
tombstones twice. The records transcription team of DGS members Suzan Younger, Carole
Ruska, Barbara Ware and Carolyn Smith have recorded, compared and edited the tombstone
transcriptions, interment cards, lot owner cards, alpha singles ledger, and singles ledger and are
preparing the database for publication. Harold Williams, Oakland Cemetery sexton, has been
immeasurable help to this project and team members. The transcription team realizes, that even
with careful edits and checks, it is possible that a date or name may not be correct. The members
would appreciate any corrections that can be verified.
For information about activities of the Oakland Cemetery Association, see their website
www.oaklandcemeterydallas.com or contact them via mail at Oakland Cemetery, 2626 Myrtle
Springs Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75220. Note: this is not the location of the cemetery. Some
information and photos of tombstones have been posted at www.findagrave.com and on
The DllasJouraL 210-2
The Dallas Journal, 2010
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Genealogical Society. The Dallas Journal, Volume 56, 2010, periodical, October 2010; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth186869/m1/31/: accessed October 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Genealogical Society.