The Dallas Journal, Volume 56, 2010 Page: 64
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
East Dallas Christian Church Membership Roster 1916
East Dallas Christian Church is a member congregation of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) in the US and Canada. A Texas State Historical Marker, size 18x28, hangs inside the East
Dallas Christian Church, 629 N. Peak, Dallas, Texas, on the hall leading into the sanctuary: The
marker was dedicated following morning worship service on October 24, 1982.
Members of Central Christian Church organized this
. fellowship in 1903. The earliest services were held in a
wooden chapel at the northeast corner of Peak and
. Victor Streets. The Rev. John Stevens served as the first
* -. s pastor. In 1907 the tabernacle was moved to this site,
* * donated by J. J. Hart. A new brick building replaced
S , . 4 the structure in 1912. A leader in the growth of East
*Dallas, the church has actively supported
* *; *neighborhood programs, missions, and the Juliette
, . Fowler Home, started by member Sara Harwood. Many
prominent Dallas leaders have been members here.
The cornerstone of a new auditorium was dedicated June 16, 1924. The finishing of the
interior of the auditorium was dedicated on Thursday night April 9, 1925 and the first
sermon was preached in the new structure on Easter Sunday, April 12, 1925. This
auditorium is still being used today. The congregation is still committed to serving the
community in Old East Dallas, a population of about 10,000 in the four square miles of
territory when the church was organized.
The names and addresses on the membership roster are transcribed as they appear in a brown-
cover booklet printed by Edwards Company, Dallas. The membership listing had "1916"
penciled in at the top of the first page. The booklet can be dated by the reports it contained
made at the annual meeting of the church on December 1, 1915.
Author's Notes: Acknowledgment is give to Ms. Jo Bramlett, church historian since 1992. The
materials used are in the archives at East Dallas Christian Church, 629 N. Peak St., Dallas,
Texas. The Dallas Morning News Archive through the Dallas Public Library web page was also
The Dallas Journal, 2010 64
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Genealogical Society. The Dallas Journal, Volume 56, 2010, periodical, October 2010; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth186869/m1/66/: accessed April 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Genealogical Society.